Sign in with
Your question

Please save my poor eyes!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 15, 2003 9:42:50 PM

I think I'm going blind looking at my CRT monitor all day long, so I would like to give my eyes a break and get a good 17"/18" LCD flat-panel. This won't be used for games, so that's not a concern. My main use for this is 2D image-editing. My comp has a Matrox G550 with both RGB and DVI out... Any recommendations or advice would be most appreciated.

More about : save poor eyes

January 15, 2003 10:04:42 PM

Several questions before I reccomend LCD:
A) What is the current model of the CRT you are using, and the settings you are running under?
B) What proof do you have that your eyes are suffering- worse vision?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
January 15, 2003 11:12:08 PM

Don't know what happened to my reply - this is my 2nd attempt, so here goes...

Using a Sony 17" E220e at 1024 x 768 until I can no longer tolerate the small text/images! No problem with the colors though, as they are simply great.

Proof? Heavy eyes and very often, dull headaches! My Optometrist wants me to take a 10 min break every hour but that won't happen! My eyes aren't the greatest anyway (very nearsighted), so I thought that an LCD would help.
Related resources
January 16, 2003 12:00:37 AM

In most cases 17" LCD will make this worse......why not set ur monitor to 800x600? Or set appearance so that it larger icons and text?

- Mario Andretti
January 16, 2003 12:16:03 AM

LCD would be worse? -- why is that???

I often do reset my monitor to 800 x 600, but I really need the higher res for my work (editing photos).
January 16, 2003 12:22:13 AM

Cause things on a 17" LCD @ 1280x1024 are much smaller than things on a 17" CRT (16" visible?) @ 1024x768. IMO, get yourself a 19" CRT and run at 1024x768. You'll be much happier. Also LCD's emit way more light (CRT max is 100CD/M^2, but u usually run it a lot less whereas LCD is often like 250 CD/M^2, which is horrible for the eyes).

- Mario Andretti
January 16, 2003 1:42:15 AM

I see your point - even with my tired eyes. Thanks for your invaluable insight (the only problem is that I may be cramped trying to fit a 19" CRT on my desk). While I've seen some 'short-neck' CRT monitors with reduced dimensions, none of them seem to use flat-tubes. Would you know of any?
January 16, 2003 10:13:26 AM

i am also very concerned with this,
as i am in front of my computer more hours a day than i should, and my eyes started to notice. i was using a 19'' LaCie ElectronBLue2 monitor, which is a great crt monitor, but i sold it 'cos i need a monitor that lets me read text as if i was reading a book. i thought lcd's were the answer. now i am confused.
cheers,
kyuss.
January 16, 2003 12:37:16 PM

Don't take Flamethrower too seriously, he was hit in the eye with a baseball. Besides he has no proof. Just look at all the people that bought an LCD and had their eyestrain/headaches go away. Just buy one that you can return if you are not satisfied.
January 16, 2003 7:31:59 PM

Yeah, I'm sorry, I guess I am blind, after all, what is 20/10 and 20/15 vision? I do have proof- my friend, and my self. At the beggining I tried to deny it, thinking perhaps I had to get "used" to the lcd. Well, over a month went by and it still kept persisting. Basically the feeling is like when u r about to get a cold/ flu how ur eyes hurt inside/ burn a little maybe, except amplify that so sometimes it hurts to keep em open. I top notch crt will do fine. Otherwise, if he wants to save his eyes, he can set brightness to min, contrast to real low, but then how do u edit pictures well on that? I mean Gosharks who's really, really knows his stuff uses a CRT (was it 21"?), and I'm sure he could get LCD.

- Mario Andretti
January 16, 2003 8:29:06 PM

Flame

You have no idea what I can and cannot get used to so please don’t speculate on my eyes or my preferences. I use CRT’s primarily because I require 1600 x 1200 resolution. I agree with Notig on both issues.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>
January 16, 2003 9:04:12 PM

If I recall, some time ago you were real happy with using a CRT. Shows preference towards crt..... Also, aren't you the one who has been claiming there are no concrete studies stating LCD's are better for the eyes?

- Mario Andretti
January 16, 2003 9:56:48 PM

With all due respect for a pro who sells monitors and sees lots of them daily, I'll add my $.02:

I currently have both a 19" iiyama model i91A and a 17" samsung model 172 LCD that I use in a dual setup (driven by a Matrox G550) running Photoshop; using the CRT for images and the LCD for menu/navigation. For kicks, I tried using them for the reverse purposes and found that the LCD doesn't come close to the CRT's color-gamut and I can't calibrate/profile it very well at all. So since IntelConvert will be using the monitor for image-editing, a CRT is the only way to go!

Re eye-strain, since I'm always looking at both monitors, I can't honestly comment as to which is better/worse. But after spending 8 hours/day in front of both of them, all I know is that my eyes really need a rest. :eek: 
January 16, 2003 10:14:47 PM

Lol, some days I've spent like 14 hours non stop programming and debugging my quantum simulations.

- Mario Andretti
January 17, 2003 12:01:00 AM

flamethrower205 what kind of monitor are u curently using CRT or LCD? I'm looking for crisp text so i can program without eyestrain (old 15" monito currently), at first I wanted the Hitachi CML174 but it is so expenise. What monitor would u recommend, i was thinking of buying the NEC FP912SB or the MITSUBISHI 930SB what do u think?
January 17, 2003 12:19:24 AM

Currently I use an NEC FE791SB. It's a good monitor....considerably less eyestrain than my old 15" Sony CRT and when I had a TFT7020. I run it at 100Hz, so the refresh rate is pretty good. I haven't personally seen the FP912B though it looks nice from the specs, the 100Hz at 1280x1024 is a bonus. Perhaps GoSharks has seen this CRT and can give his opinion.

- Mario Andretti
January 17, 2003 2:38:56 AM

Thanks pvsurfer - I see we are both using the same graphics card as well as Photoshop. I'll take your advice and get a good 19" CRT monitor and since I already have a 17" CRT monitor, I think I'll join you in using the Matrox dual heads (if I can make room for both on my desk)!

Anyone know anything about the iiyama vision masters (or should I take this over to the CRT section)? A guy I met can't stop raving about his.
January 17, 2003 8:02:27 AM

I have been using both CRTs and LCDs for some time now and I have a couple of quick comments.
1. LCDs are much easier to read off of than CRTs, because there is no flicker. I am using a 22inch LaCie and the lowest refresh rate I use is 85hz however even at that high rate of scan, I cannot look at my CRT for more than a couple of hours without getting nasty migranes. My LCD, on the hand, has no flicker and it doesn't radiate as much light.
2. Although I prefer to read off an LCD and wouldn't use it to replace my CRT. This stems from the LCD's relative lack of viewable colors, lack of brightness, contrast and image refresh rate compared to a CRT.
3. Whether you need a CRT or LCD depends on what you do. If you read or type a lot on your computer get an LCD. On the other hand if you Deal with graphics (games, design, layout,etc) get a CRT. If you have really sensitive eyes and don't mind sacrificing some image quality get an LCD.

The End
January 17, 2003 4:02:28 PM

What lcd's were you referring to. The current 250 cd/m^2 found in many lcd's is a lot brighter than 100 cd/m^2....

- Mario Andretti
!