Nvlddmkm.sys

enigma322

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Hey guys, so my comp has been running fine for years and then I get an error "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" while playing video games. What happens is my screen goes all glitchy then shuts down. This continues only to occur during video games, then it starts happening when im not playing any games. I thought i was the new hard drive i just bought, so i go back to my old one and the same error occurs. I've done a lot of research but cant seem to locate the cause. I am able to run in safe mode just fine if that is of any help. Also, the first loading screen before the windows loading screen has white lines across it, not sure if that means its the video card or ram...
thanks guys.

Specs:
8800GTS
680I sli evga mobo
2x1 gig gskill ram
2.4 ghz dual core intel cpu

You were on the right track with your "either video card or ram" diagnosis. nvlddmkm.sys happens to be a component of Nvidia's video driver. Start by using something like HWMonitor from CPUID to check your video temps. Post them here and we can see if they are within spec or not. From your description, I would say the card is overheating, causing the driver to lock up.

If those temperatures check out, I would then proceed with updating your video driver. The latest version is 195.62.

enigma322

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. I had the latest drivers installed. I reinstalled the latest drivers several times because i thought it was a driver issue. And I am trying to get a temp on my video card, but i can only use normal windows only for a minute, thats after not using my computer for at least 8 hours. otherwise, im stuck to safemode with networking lol. ill let you know if i can get a reading though.

enigma322

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Ok, I tried out my friends RAM, and it had no effect on the problem. And i am starting to think it is my video card that is over heating, even though i cant get any temp readings on it. Is there a way to find out if its the video cards problem for over heating or if its my mobo causing it?

logan86

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
i have seen this problem a few times before and have experienced it myself. your video card is over heating and its only a matter of time before those lines become permanent. this is a big failing of nvidia 8 series cards. but look on the bright side, now you can get a shiny new upgrade to a newer, faster video card. but dont leave it too long if you rely on your computer for use every day. it could finally give it up tommrow or it could be a month or two, but you just cant know when.

enigma322

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007

I downloaded it, but i cant get video card temp readings in safe mode, the only temps that pop up are my hard drives.

Of course.... *smacks head* your video driver isn't being loaded into the OS, so HWMonitor can't pick up the temps.

Are you able to boot into Windows normally at all? You mentioned in your first post you really notice it when playing games, but that's when there is a sizeable load on the video card (thus the higher temps, and thus the problems is my line of thinking). Try booting into normal mode and see if you can pick up the temps at all.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Trust me your graphics card is bad. I had the same problem when I got my 285. It didnt matter what i did(re installing drivers,going into safe mode etc) it always gave me the error when I tried to play games. I put in a rma with xfx and when I got the new card back, I had no problems at all. Also just to verify I had an old 8600gt i popped in and I had no errors.

Im pretty sure if you try another card it would be fine.