Help: Update DVD firmware on Thinkpad T23

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 10:06:41 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

hi,

i'm trying to update DVD firmware on my T23 laptop. i found the file i
need on ibm website,
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?....

but it seems i need to attach a FDD to my machine for the update since
the files needs to be started from a bootable disk. i have the floppy
drive, but since i only have one drive bay on this machine, i can't
have both FDD and DVD-rom in at the same time (dvd-rom needs to be
present for the firmware update). i did a search online and found IBM
sells this special attaching cable for $50, yach!

i don't want to shell out $50 just for a software update, is there any
other method that i could update firmware for the DVD-rom? i have a
USB memory stick, is it possible that i copy the files to the USB stick
and boot from there?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 8:19:06 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Xiongnu wrote:
Why do you need to update the firmware? Is the DVD not working? If it
does work and you just want to update the firmware because there is an
update ... dont. Better to leave well enough alone.

> hi,
>
> i'm trying to update DVD firmware on my T23 laptop. i found the file i
> need on ibm website,
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?....
>
> but it seems i need to attach a FDD to my machine for the update since
> the files needs to be started from a bootable disk. i have the floppy
> drive, but since i only have one drive bay on this machine, i can't
> have both FDD and DVD-rom in at the same time (dvd-rom needs to be
> present for the firmware update). i did a search online and found IBM
> sells this special attaching cable for $50, yach!
>
> i don't want to shell out $50 just for a software update, is there any
> other method that i could update firmware for the DVD-rom? i have a
> USB memory stick, is it possible that i copy the files to the USB stick
> and boot from there?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 9:48:39 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

well, it is working

but i have difficulties to play some DVDs, namely a DTS version of
Waterworld DVD and some DVDs with different region format (chinese to
be specific, probably region 5)
so i figure i might correct the problem by updating the firmware
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 12:40:19 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I could be wrong but I dont think it will fix the problem you having
some dvds just dont do it. Most firmwares list all the things they fix
does that one list any of the problems your having?

!