Sign in with
Your question

GA-EX58-UD3R - PC Constantly power cycling

Last response: in Motherboards
September 24, 2011 9:50:07 AM

Suddenly my computer has begun to power cycle continually with no end in sight until I physically remove the power cable from the PSU. This has begun spontaneously and not on the back of any hardware or software changes.

The PC will "boot" for about 3-5 seconds - fans start spinning and LED's come on, and then turn off abruptly. After about another 3-5 seconds, fans start spinning and LED's come on, and then turn off abruptly. This cycle continues to infinity.

Immediately I thought the PSU was to blame, but upon swapping it out for a brand new one the issue persists.

I have tried a myriad of hardware troubleshooting combinations to diagnose this issue:
Motherboard with just CPU
Motherboard with CPU / RAM
Motherboard with CPU / RAM / GPU
Motherboard with CPU / RAM / GPU / HDD
(Both in and out of case to negate any potential shortages)
None of these have had any effect whatsoever on the issue.

Also, when I remove the 6 (or is it 8?) pin connector which powers the CPU and attempt to boot, the cycling stops and the fans stay on. Obviously, however, the system will not properly boot without this plugged in.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R. From googling it seems that this is quite a widespread issue particularly among Gigabyte mobo owners, but nobody seems to nail down a cause.

I took the CMOS battery out overnight last night but to no avail.

Edit: Also the CPU connector I'm talking about is here: http://i.imgur.com/u40ei.jpg

Cheers
September 24, 2011 6:58:32 PM

i have had this happen due to a bad ohm resistance on a power button. to trouble shoot this i unplug the front panel cables and use a key or screw driver to turn on the MB. also i have had issues like this from dirty house power, i use a APC UPS with AVR to trouble shoot that one.

try swapping parts, different cpu, different ram, finally a new MB. all i can think of. if your current cpu, ram, psu cause a new mb to cycle then you know its not the MB.
September 25, 2011 3:35:59 PM

I am having the exact same issue, so I'm thinking it's probably the mobo.

Does yours boot into an OS, at all, ever? Mine does. The problem with the boot cycling only happens sometimes, which is really throwing me for a loop (no pun intended).
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 25, 2011 3:48:24 PM

IF this is all of a sudden then 9/10 it's your PSU. IF it's your RAM then try (1) stick in the 2nd DIMM slot closest to the CPU; failure try the 2nd stick of RAM.

Clear CMOS if yanking the CMOS battery is useless, and totally useless if the power plug is in. Use the Jumper method or Clear CMOS button if equipped; See -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0 {yeah it's MSI but it's universal}

Q - What CPU?
Q - What RAM?
Q - What PSU?
Q - What HSF? {stock or aftermarket}
September 9, 2012 8:24:36 PM

I'm having the same problem as you right now..outta nowhere. Did you ever manage to find the problem? I don't want to buy a replacement part only to find out it wasn't the problem, my mobo is giga p67a-ud4
!