Sign in with
Your question

Is my mobo dead now

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2011 7:53:59 PM

not part of my previous thread recently on my GF computer it would completly power down every time she tried to log into wow i figured the power supply was insufficient for her graphic card and was causing the computer to shut down i purchased a new PSU installed it and now all that comes on is the fans and the computer wont boot nothing cycles but the fans on the cpu and the PSU when i disconnect the cdrom from the mobo i can get the drwer to open but thats it every thing else is unresponsive any idea what this could be caused from

More about : mobo dead

January 23, 2011 8:54:49 PM

thank you very much ill let ya know if it works
Related resources
January 23, 2011 9:52:09 PM

alright here is the low down followed all steps and im still not making progress every thing is seated properly when i plug in the system i press the power button on front all that comes on are the fans no led power lights HD dont spin up and dvd is not operational (drawer dose not come open when button is pressed) however if i disconnect the Parallel ATA IDE connector from the MoBo i can get the drive to open up but that's it still no front panel lights and still no boot but at least the fans are running
January 23, 2011 10:15:06 PM

-are there any beeps coming from your pc when you power up?
-are there any LED's on your mobo that light up?
-There is a switch on the back of your pc(part of PSU) that selects the voltage level for your region. Either 120V or 220V(I think). Make sure it is set to the proper voltage level of your home.

A complete list of the system specs would be helpful too. What PSU are you using?

Thats very odd that the DVD drive will only open when the IDE is disconnected. When you open it and put in a DVD and then close it does it try to read the DVD? i.e. does the DVD spin-up and the led on the front of the drive blink?
January 23, 2011 10:50:43 PM

light dose blink but only when its disconnected
January 23, 2011 10:51:28 PM

no beeps and no lights voltage is at 110
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 10:52:58 PM

You DO have a case speaker attached to th header on the mobo, NOT the audio output jacks, Right?
January 23, 2011 11:02:32 PM

How about those system specs? knowing what mobo you have is critical info for us to help you.
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 11:30:12 PM

what psu? full system specs?
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 11:39:33 PM

Work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

OK. Apparently, you have done that.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
January 23, 2011 11:55:41 PM

MCP61SM-GM mATX Motherboard is the what im working with apologize for the delay
January 24, 2011 12:08:37 AM

PSU is a TR2 430w (new) from thermaltake computer is Emachines W5243

CPU : AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+
64-bit processor with AMD64 technology
(2.4GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 2000MHz system bus)
Operating System : Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Display : eMachines® 17" Widescreen LCD Display (E17T6W)
1440×900 (native and maximum)
Chipset : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
Memory : 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 dual-channel memory (2 × 512MB)
Expandable to 2GB
2 DDR2 slots (total), 0 DDR2 slots (available)
Hard Drive : 250GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB cache)1
Optical Drive : 16x DVD±R/RW Supermulti drive
Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD±R DL, 8x DVD±RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 40x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM DL
Video : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 integrated graphics
Up to 128MB shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x8) slot available for upgrade
Sound : 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Communications : 56K ITU v.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Peripherals : Standard multifunction keyboard
2-button wheel mouse (PS/2)
Amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Ports/Other : 6 - USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 rear)
1 - VGA
1 - Parallel port
1 - Serial port
2 - PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
3 - Audio (rear): line-in/side (stereo), front/headphone (stereo), microphone
2 - Audio (front): microphone, front/headphone (stereo)
1 - RJ-45 Ethernet port
1 - RJ-11 modem port
Dimensions : 14.5"H x 7.2"W x 16.1"D2
Weight : 21.5 lbs.3 (system unit only)
Warranty : 1-year parts and labor limited warranty4
Software :

* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
* Productivity Software
o Microsoft Works® 9.0
o Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student (60-day complimentary trial period)5
o Adobe® Reader
* Digital Media Software
o CyberLink® Power2Go™
* Connectivity/Utilities
o Microsoft Internet Explorer
o AOL® 9.0 (90-day risk-free offer)6
o NetZero Internet Access7
o Google Toolbar™ search bar and Google Desktop Search™ search tool
o eMachines® Connect™
* eMachines® Comprehensive Security
o Norton Internet Security™ (60-day live updates)8
o BigFix® - helps identify and solve problems
o Spare Backup9
* Game Software
o eMachines® Games Powered by: WildTangent® (preinstalled with 10 demo games with 60 minutes of game play)10
January 24, 2011 12:14:27 AM

i have no case speaker also:( 
January 24, 2011 12:36:02 AM

To properly troubleshoot you're going to need a case speaker. The beeps that it makes at startup can tell you what the problem is.

As a side note I would definately recommend a new mobo. The current one is a gateway branded one that is going to be difficult to troubleshoot as there are very few people who have posted online the problems they have experienced and the solutions they have found. The reason why is that most people who buy gateway are people who are not experienced so they don't post online they go to gateway and pay to have it fixed.

Here in a Canada a good replacement mobo would run you about $50CDN. And it would also leave you with tons of room for upgrading later. Something like the M2N68-AM would be great. I've had it for well over 5 years. Originally it was in my gaming pc but when I built a new gaming pc I converted my old pc into a HTPC.
January 24, 2011 12:56:50 AM

i was afraid i would have to do that thankyou for all youre help ill be sure to pick up a case speaker for trouble shooting in the future for now she will just have to wait till i can find a barebone kit for her
a b ) Power supply
January 24, 2011 4:23:12 PM

ugh- thermaltake tr2. gross. excuse me while i bang by head against the wall in frustration.

seriously, the tr2 series is very bad and many people have issues with them.

here is a review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332
!