PC will not simply not start

Nokturnal1228

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I was upgrading a few pieces on my computer: psu (535W->750W), gpu (1x 9800GT -> 2x 9800GTs). The hardware change was to enable a SLI setup (larger power supply). I run with a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

I just swapped out power supplies (it came from a friends computer and worked great) and slipped in the other 9800gt, so I was thinking I was good to go. I am a careful and knowledgeable person when it comes to computer builds, so I was very surprised when my computer would just not start.

Upon pressing the power button, the front blue LED fan came on for less than a second then the computer shut off. Every time I tried after that, nothing happened electrically, no lights, nothing moving, It was like power was just not reaching the power button to turn things on..... The first thing I looked at was my header connection and that was OK.

Next step I put in the old power supply and the situation did not change. So now I was thinking the power supplies were faulty, and tested them just to see if they would turn on by shorting the green wire with a black ground; they tested just fine.

Now I turned my attention to the motherboard which I think was destroyed somehow because this *** is just not going my way. About all I did was reset the CMOS battery, but that didn't change anything.

The last thing I noticed was that if I wiggled in the ATX power adapter for motherboard power while it was a little less than halfway in, it powered up the psu which actually did power up my case fans and cpu heatsink, which may just be a glitch.

Any of you computer gods come across something so simple yet so frustrating before? Any solutions? I think I must have fried the mobo but don't really know how that happened