Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Woops. Disabled on-board in windows now no picture.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2010 10:05:16 PM

I installed a new video card, but before doing so I thought I'd shoot myself in the foot first.

Expecting a problem with the on-board video controller, I disabled the default driver in windows. Display-Properties-Advanced-Adapter-Device Usage-Do not use this device (disabled). Reboot.

As expected the add-on video card did not work (PCIe in Dell 2850 server). The old video works through the boot and Windows welcome screen, but once Windows is loaded, nada.

Tried VGA mode. Same result.
Tried last known configuration. Same result.
Tried safe mode. Same result.
Tried remote desktop. User doesn't have permision, including Admin.

Since then I've tracked down a better way to install the video card that has worked for other users. Pitty I can't use it until I can see my screen again.

Anyone have a suggestion I haven't tried yet?
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 1:58:59 AM

Go into the BIOS and disable the Onboard Video Card in there. Once that is done hopefully the OS will see the new card as the default card and load it up in VGA mode allowing you to install drivers.
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 2:01:28 AM

Can you go back to on-board in bios?

I'd try going back to on-board in bios, and if that works with the card plugged in, install the drivers for the card, and then restart and see if you have video via the card.
Score
Related resources
September 10, 2010 3:22:58 PM

I ended up reinstalling the OS.

First, there is no BIOS setting to enable or disable the on-board video.

Second, I had set up terminal server but hadn't yet entered anyone as an authorized user. Even though I could see the login screen with remote desktop, it wouldn't let anyone log in. Pitty.

This is my first Server install, so I'm OK with learning a few things via trial-and-error.
Score
September 10, 2010 3:23:14 PM

Best answer selected by toscrawford.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 3:53:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!