Best CPU match for ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

I am not a gamer but would like a board that that has room to grow and I choose the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. Any comments appreciated. Now I'm looking for a CPU but I'm not very knowledgable in the area. I would appreciate any help.
11 answers Last reply
More about best match asus m4a89gtd
  1. Welcome to Tom's Hardware...

    For a non-gamer, the best all around CPU is probably the Phenom II X4 955 at $150. If that is outside your budget, I would look at the Athlon II X4 640, which is a quad-core CPU under $100.
  2. tecmo34 said:
    Welcome to Tom's Hardware...

    For a non-gamer, the best all around CPU is probably the Phenom II X4 955 at $150. If that is outside your budget, I would look at the Athlon II X4 640, which is a quad-core CPU under $100.

    I agree. But before we solidify that, a couple questions:
    -what specifically do you use the computer for?
    -is power savings important to you (electricity)?
    -how much do you want to spend?
    -How long do you plan to keep the CPU without upgrading?

    For most office environments for example, an Athlon IIx2 240 (~$50-60 is more than enough. If you aren't into undervolting and want power savings, the 240e could work for a higher price.

    If you are into heavy virtualization or video encoding, the Phenom IIx6 1055t (~$180-190) could be perfect.
  3. Quote:
    ^X4 955Be gets my vote

    Would I gain anything wothe the $ with a 1055/1090/ect ?
  4. rondeann said:
    Would I gain anything wothe the $ with a 1055/1090/ect ?

    Not unless you make use of the extra cores. As I mentioned, heavy virtualization and video encoding are examples of programs that would use the extra cores. 3d rendering is another example. What do you use the computer for?
  5. enzo matrix said:
    I agree. But before we solidify that, a couple questions:
    -what specifically do you use the computer for?
    -is power savings important to you (electricity)?
    -how much do you want to spend?
    -How long do you plan to keep the CPU without upgrading?

    For most office environments for example, an Athlon IIx2 240 (~$50-60 is more than enough. If you aren't into undervolting and want power savings, the 240e could work for a higher price.

    If you are into heavy virtualization or video encoding, the Phenom IIx6 1055t (~$180-190) could be perfect.

    Not worried about electricity but do some photo editing.
    I usually get something new in about 2 years.
    Does anyone have an opinion about the board I selected?
  6. I don't think so... The X4 955 equals the X6's in most benchmarks outside of heavy thread applications. For a general type PC, the X4 955 is over kill to a point :)
  7. rondeann said:
    I am not a gamer but would like a board that that has room to grow and I choose the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. Any comments appreciated. Now I'm looking for a CPU but I'm not very knowledgable in the area. I would appreciate any help.


    Quote:
    ^+1

    For gaming it would be a waste. even light video editing it would be waste. Although it got 6 cores but it lacks on bandwidth when it comes to processing big files.

    But you want it for gaming I say 955Be.


    Uhhh.....

    But yeah I agree. No one really needs a phenom IIx6. It's a great low-cost option though for someone looking to buy a low end server computer without ECC support and without the need for high bandwidth.
    I just like having those cores :) Even though I do virtualization, gaming, folding@home, run a virtual server from it and regular use at the same time, it's still a bit overkill. Even 4GB of ram is enough for virtualizing windows xp in the background while gaming.
  8. rondeann said:
    I am not a gamer but would like a board that that has room to grow and I choose the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. Any comments appreciated. Now I'm looking for a CPU but I'm not very knowledgable in the area. I would appreciate any help.


    I'm not sure how or who to ask but does anyone have an opinion on the M4A89GTD board?
  9. rondeann said:
    I am not a gamer but would like a board that that has room to grow and I choose the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. Any comments appreciated. Now I'm looking for a CPU but I'm not very knowledgable in the area. I would appreciate any help.


    You guys are great. I appreciate all the replies. Sorry I am so confused about how to use the forum.
  10. Quote:
    Agree. X4 is a good allrounder and for his price is a bang for buck. But the x6 will be more future proof

    Future proofing is like cake. A lie. Buy what you need now. Especially since he plans to upgrade in 2 years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg
  11. Quote:
    why?

    I answered that with my link. I agree with most of what Linus has said in his video.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus CPUs Components Product