Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU match for ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2011 9:35:13 PM

I am not a gamer but would like a board that that has room to grow and I choose the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. Any comments appreciated. Now I'm looking for a CPU but I'm not very knowledgable in the area. I would appreciate any help.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 78 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 10:46:40 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware...

For a non-gamer, the best all around CPU is probably the Phenom II X4 955 at $150. If that is outside your budget, I would look at the Athlon II X4 640, which is a quad-core CPU under $100.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 11:12:18 PM

tecmo34 said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware...

For a non-gamer, the best all around CPU is probably the Phenom II X4 955 at $150. If that is outside your budget, I would look at the Athlon II X4 640, which is a quad-core CPU under $100.

I agree. But before we solidify that, a couple questions:
-what specifically do you use the computer for?
-is power savings important to you (electricity)?
-how much do you want to spend?
-How long do you plan to keep the CPU without upgrading?

For most office environments for example, an Athlon IIx2 240 (~$50-60 is more than enough. If you aren't into undervolting and want power savings, the 240e could work for a higher price.

If you are into heavy virtualization or video encoding, the Phenom IIx6 1055t (~$180-190) could be perfect.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2011 11:25:29 PM

Quote:
^X4 955Be gets my vote

Would I gain anything wothe the $ with a 1055/1090/ect ?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 11:29:16 PM

rondeann said:
Would I gain anything wothe the $ with a 1055/1090/ect ?

Not unless you make use of the extra cores. As I mentioned, heavy virtualization and video encoding are examples of programs that would use the extra cores. 3d rendering is another example. What do you use the computer for?
m
l
January 23, 2011 11:29:25 PM

enzo matrix said:
I agree. But before we solidify that, a couple questions:
-what specifically do you use the computer for?
-is power savings important to you (electricity)?
-how much do you want to spend?
-How long do you plan to keep the CPU without upgrading?

For most office environments for example, an Athlon IIx2 240 (~$50-60 is more than enough. If you aren't into undervolting and want power savings, the 240e could work for a higher price.

If you are into heavy virtualization or video encoding, the Phenom IIx6 1055t (~$180-190) could be perfect.

Not worried about electricity but do some photo editing.
I usually get something new in about 2 years.
Does anyone have an opinion about the board I selected?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 78 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 11:29:32 PM

I don't think so... The X4 955 equals the X6's in most benchmarks outside of heavy thread applications. For a general type PC, the X4 955 is over kill to a point :) 
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 11:42:06 PM

rondeann said:
I am not a gamer but would like a board that that has room to grow and I choose the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. Any comments appreciated. Now I'm looking for a CPU but I'm not very knowledgable in the area. I would appreciate any help.

Quote:
^+1

For gaming it would be a waste. even light video editing it would be waste. Although it got 6 cores but it lacks on bandwidth when it comes to processing big files.

But you want it for gaming I say 955Be.

Uhhh.....

But yeah I agree. No one really needs a phenom IIx6. It's a great low-cost option though for someone looking to buy a low end server computer without ECC support and without the need for high bandwidth.
I just like having those cores :)  Even though I do virtualization, gaming, folding@home, run a virtual server from it and regular use at the same time, it's still a bit overkill. Even 4GB of ram is enough for virtualizing windows xp in the background while gaming.
m
l
January 23, 2011 11:48:01 PM

rondeann said:

I'm not sure how or who to ask but does anyone have an opinion on the M4A89GTD board?
m
l
January 23, 2011 11:57:43 PM

rondeann said:

You guys are great. I appreciate all the replies. Sorry I am so confused about how to use the forum.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 24, 2011 12:49:08 AM

Quote:
Agree. X4 is a good allrounder and for his price is a bang for buck. But the x6 will be more future proof

Future proofing is like cake. A lie. Buy what you need now. Especially since he plans to upgrade in 2 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 24, 2011 1:12:09 AM

Quote:
why?

I answered that with my link. I agree with most of what Linus has said in his video.
m
l
!