Best CPU match for ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

rondeann

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I am not a gamer but would like a board that that has room to grow and I choose the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO. Any comments appreciated. Now I'm looking for a CPU but I'm not very knowledgable in the area. I would appreciate any help.

I agree. But before we solidify that, a couple questions:
-what specifically do you use the computer for?
-is power savings important to you (electricity)?
-how much do you want to spend?
-How long do you plan to keep the CPU without upgrading?

For most office environments for example, an Athlon IIx2 240 (~$50-60 is more than enough. If you aren't into undervolting and want power savings, the 240e could work for a higher price.

If you are into heavy virtualization or video encoding, the Phenom IIx6 1055t (~$180-190) could be perfect.

Not unless you make use of the extra cores. As I mentioned, heavy virtualization and video encoding are examples of programs that would use the extra cores. 3d rendering is another example. What do you use the computer for?

rondeann

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

Not worried about electricity but do some photo editing.
I usually get something new in about 2 years.
Does anyone have an opinion about the board I selected?

^+1

For gaming it would be a waste. even light video editing it would be waste. Although it got 6 cores but it lacks on bandwidth when it comes to processing big files.

But you want it for gaming I say 955Be.

Uhhh.....

But yeah I agree. No one really needs a phenom IIx6. It's a great low-cost option though for someone looking to buy a low end server computer without ECC support and without the need for high bandwidth.
I just like having those cores :) Even though I do virtualization, gaming, folding@home, run a virtual server from it and regular use at the same time, it's still a bit overkill. Even 4GB of ram is enough for virtualizing windows xp in the background while gaming.

rondeann

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

I'm not sure how or who to ask but does anyone have an opinion on the M4A89GTD board?

rondeann

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

You guys are great. I appreciate all the replies. Sorry I am so confused about how to use the forum.