laptop battery problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 17, 2005 1:47:05 PM

When I use my laptop, I always plug in the AC adaptor. But the strange
thing
is that everyday when I turn on the computer, the battery decreases 1
percent,
even if the AC adaptor is plug in. After the battery reaches 95
percent, it
starts recharging. It works fine on battery alone. What is the problem?
Thanks.

More about : laptop battery problem

January 17, 2005 2:37:59 PM

Jerry Park wrote:
> Jack wrote:
>
> >When I use my laptop, I always plug in the AC adaptor. But the
strange
> >thing
> >is that everyday when I turn on the computer, the battery decreases
1
> >percent,
> >even if the AC adaptor is plug in. After the battery reaches 95
> >percent, it
> >starts recharging. It works fine on battery alone. What is the
problem?
> >Thanks.
> >

> Are you really turning the computer off or are you perhaps suspending
it?

> Turning it off or hibernating should not drain the battery.
Suspending will.

Thanks. I turn it off completely. I find that the battery status only
changes when I turn on the machine. For example, yesterday it was 98
percent. Today, after turning on, it becomes 97 percent. After the
machine is running, the status of battery keeps the same value, like 97
percent. Quite strange.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 3:56:09 PM

Jack wrote:

>When I use my laptop, I always plug in the AC adaptor. But the strange
>thing
>is that everyday when I turn on the computer, the battery decreases 1
>percent,
>even if the AC adaptor is plug in. After the battery reaches 95
>percent, it
>starts recharging. It works fine on battery alone. What is the problem?
>Thanks.

Are you really turning the computer off or are you perhaps suspending it?

Turning it off or hibernating should not drain the battery. Suspending will.
Related resources
January 17, 2005 4:35:56 PM

I have done recalibrating (drain the battery untill the laptop
hibernate then recharging it) three times. But I find that sometimes I
can not recharge the battery to 100 percent. Last time, I recharged the
battery to 98 percent. Then the recharging stopped.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 5:26:57 PM

Jack wrote:

>Jerry Park wrote:
>

>>Jack wrote:
>>

>>>When I use my laptop, I always plug in the AC adaptor. But the
>>>

>strange
>

>>>thing
>>>is that everyday when I turn on the computer, the battery decreases
>>>

>1
>

>>>percent,
>>>even if the AC adaptor is plug in. After the battery reaches 95
>>>percent, it
>>>starts recharging. It works fine on battery alone. What is the
>>>

>problem?
>

>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>Are you really turning the computer off or are you perhaps suspending
>>

>it?
>

>>Turning it off or hibernating should not drain the battery.
>>

>Suspending will.
>
>Thanks. I turn it off completely. I find that the battery status only
>changes when I turn on the machine. For example, yesterday it was 98
>percent. Today, after turning on, it becomes 97 percent. After the
>machine is running, the status of battery keeps the same value, like 97
>percent. Quite strange.

Don't know what could be the problem. Mine usually stays at 100% if
plugged in. Right now, one battery is showing 99% and one 100%. No charging.

Could be yours doesn't begin charging until the battery drops to 95%.
Perhaps there is a slight drain on the battery during startup or
shutdown? Or perhaps the battery is getting somewhat weak and not
holding a full charge?
January 17, 2005 6:38:39 PM

Jack wrote:
> When I use my laptop, I always plug in the AC adaptor. But the strange
> thing
> is that everyday when I turn on the computer, the battery decreases 1
> percent,
> even if the AC adaptor is plug in. After the battery reaches 95
> percent, it
> starts recharging. It works fine on battery alone. What is the problem?
> Thanks.

Not a problem, that's just the way it works. Done to reduce charging
stress on the battery.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

"Jack" <junw2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>When I use my laptop, I always plug in the AC adaptor. But the strange
>thing
>is that everyday when I turn on the computer, the battery decreases 1
>percent,
>even if the AC adaptor is plug in. After the battery reaches 95
>percent, it
>starts recharging. It works fine on battery alone. What is the problem?
>Thanks.

LiIon batteries shouldn't be float-charged, some mahines let them
self-discharge to {95,97} percent before topping them off again.
Sounds funny, but that's actually a good thing...
January 17, 2005 11:18:53 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
I am relaxed now.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 11:37:19 PM

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> Jack wrote:
>
>>Jerry Park wrote:

>>strange

>>1

>>problem?

>>>Are you really turning the computer off or are you perhaps suspending
>>>
>>it?
>>
>>>Turning it off or hibernating should not drain the battery.
>>>
>>Suspending will.
>>
>>Thanks. I turn it off completely. I find that the battery status only
>>changes when I turn on the machine. For example, yesterday it was 98
>>percent. Today, after turning on, it becomes 97 percent. After the
>>machine is running, the status of battery keeps the same value, like 97
>>percent. Quite strange.
>>

> Don't know what could be the problem. Mine usually stays at 100% if
> plugged in. Right now, one battery is showing 99% and one 100%. No
> charging.
>
> Could be yours doesn't begin charging until the battery drops to 95%.
> Perhaps there is a slight drain on the battery during startup or shutdown?
> Or perhaps the battery is getting somewhat weak and not holding a full
> charge?

Most modern batteries give misleading information if you part
charge/discharge. See if you can find instructions as to re-calibrating the
battery, (nothing complicated.)

HTH
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 12:38:14 AM

"Jack" <junw2000@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have done recalibrating (drain the battery untill the laptop
> hibernate then recharging it) three times. But I find that sometimes I
> can not recharge the battery to 100 percent. Last time, I recharged the
> battery to 98 percent. Then the recharging stopped.

You could always time how long it takes to drain completely whilst left on.
See if there is a reduction in time.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 4:46:45 AM

On 17 Jan 2005 11:37:59 -0800, "Jack" <junw2000@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jerry Park wrote:
>> Jack wrote:
>>
>> >When I use my laptop, I always plug in the AC adaptor. But the
>strange
>> >thing
>> >is that everyday when I turn on the computer, the battery decreases
>1
>> >percent,
>> >even if the AC adaptor is plug in. After the battery reaches 95
>> >percent, it
>> >starts recharging. It works fine on battery alone. What is the
>problem?
>> >Thanks.
>> >

>> Are you really turning the computer off or are you perhaps suspending
>it?
>>
>> Turning it off or hibernating should not drain the battery.
>Suspending will.
>
>Thanks. I turn it off completely. I find that the battery status only
>changes when I turn on the machine. For example, yesterday it was 98
>percent. Today, after turning on, it becomes 97 percent. After the
>machine is running, the status of battery keeps the same value, like 97
>percent. Quite strange.

Some battery guage internal state machines assume that errors will
occur with time, therefore the guage report of capacity will reduce
with time to stay on the 'safe' side.

The same state machines will ask for charge only if the report is
below a certain value - in your case this appears to be 95%.

I believe the Harding Energy P300 guage was configured something like
that when developed around 1999.

The behaviour is not a 'problem', as it doesn't reduce actual battery
life or run-time.

The only time a gauge report is 'accurate', is after a complete
discharge/recharge event, when the demonstrated working capacity of
the battery can be measured by the internal guage.

RL
January 18, 2005 5:41:49 PM

Ne><uS wrote:
> "Jack" <junw2000@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you all for your replies.
> > I am relaxed now.
> >
> Btw, what type of cells is it using? Li-ion?
It is Li-ion. The laptop is brand new.

Jack
Anonymous
a b D Laptop