Core i5 760 - CPU Cooler and RAM Question

tmoel1

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

First off, here's the specs. for the main components of my 'rig':

Case: Coolermaster Centurion II (with a total of 5 120/140mm case fans)
M/b: Asus P7H55-M
RAM: A-RAM 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR3@1300MHz
PSU: Gigabyte Odin 600W
CPU: Core i5 760@2.80GHz (currently running the stock cooler)
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 560 Ti SuperOverclocked Edition

As i do not want to (read: do not have the $$ to) upgrade to a Sandy-Bridge Processor and associated Motherboard, I'd decided to overclock my current Chip to wring some more performance out of it. Can you guys please suggest a good aftermarket cooler (air only); while I know I should be sensible and go with a Coolermaster 212+ or something similar, I've been eyeing off a Xigmatek SM128164 Colosseum. Have only been able to find one 'review' of it, though it was hardly comprehensive and non-conclusive. The reason I like this is because a) it looks awesome b) it actually looks like it would do a good job and c) the blue fan would suit all of my other blue stuff great (yes i know that sounds petty, don't judge ;)

However if anyone has any other suggestions regarding this it would be much appreciated (budget = <$70).

The second thing is, I would like to upgrade my RAM. My current Memory is pretty much as cheap as you can get - c. $30 here in Australia. Once again, my
'vainness' is coming through, as I want the Memory to look good (i.e. not like my current ones), and preferably blue or blue-ish. I'm looking at 2 kits in particular at the moment:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16848 - Corsair Vengeance, 8Gb, 1600MHz, $75
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16934 - G.Skill Ripjaws, 8Gb, 1600MHz, $75

Will these be a noticeable improvement, are they the right ones for my setup, will they fit under most big aftermarket Coolers, any suggestions would be appreciated (budget = preferably around this^ price, but would consider up to double that).

Thanks in advance :)

Troy

tmoel1

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply rolli59, I wasn't actually planning on overclocking the RAM though . . . is it worth it? Also thanks for the link :)