Closed Solved

New Video Card

I am currently in the market for a new video card, but I can't decide which to get. Right now I'm leaning towards the 5850's and I have heard bad things about the 5830's, the 5870's i think are an overkill for my needs. The 5770's just don't give me enough.

I am wondering what is the difference between a toxic 1gb 5850 sapphire pirced at 320 bucks, and a 5850 his, gigabyte, msi, asus, xfx, or even a sapphire cypress (not toxic)? These are priced starting at 250 bucks. Is it worth saving 70 dollars for the factory overclocked and advanced coolinng system? I really like the toxic edition because it is factory overclocked, which I have never overclocked a gpu before, and from what i hear, it stays really cool. but i am just wondering if its worth the extra 70?

thanks!

my current gpu is an 8400 gs. YUCK!!! it is so loud i cant stand my computer.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about video card
  1. Best answer
    Overclocking a GPU is rediculously easy, and in my opinion the Toxic cards are overpriced and not worth it. The 5850 is a great card though.

What is your resolution, motherboard, ram, and CPU? A 5850 might be overkill for you, we can determin that for you.
  2. my system specs are:

currently borrowing my sisters monitor which is a HP w2207h monitor... plan to upgrade to an asus vw266H
    i5-750 @ stock speed. waiting for more dough to get a good heat sink
    wd 1 tb caviar black hdd
    4gb ram of g.skill ddr3 1600mhz
    standard cd drive ripped from my old computer
    antec 902 case
    nvidia 8400 gs
    corsair 650hx psu
  3. mobo is ga-p55a-ud3
  4. Helltech said:
    Overclocking a GPU is rediculously easy, and in my opinion the Toxic cards are overpriced and not worth it. The 5850 is a great card though.

What is your resolution, motherboard, ram, and CPU? A 5850 might be overkill for you, we can determin that for you.

i posted my specs above, but i did have one question, how far off is the 6000 series for the 5000's to take a price plunge?

p.s. my first system build
  5. Quote:
    what ur monitor res.

current temporary one is 1680x1050

in a 2-3 months hopefully it will be 1920x1200

reason im getting a new one is because its not mine and its rightful owner wants it back soon.
  6. Quote:
    Then go for 5850.

i already decided to go for the 5850, its just a matter of which one. overclocked or not. extra cooling or not. and paying the difference for them. basically what im looking for now that my question got answered is a 5850 that is not overpriced, best bang for the buck.
  7. Best answer selected by mohamads9000.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Sapphire Graphics Product