Sign in with
Your question

Gentle Typhoon or Scythe Kaze Muro as exhaust fan?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 24, 2011 1:49:45 AM

I'm at the point where I'm paying attention to the details of this build. I'm fitting a Corsair 800D with fans and am curious as to your opinion of the best fans for this case.

Currently, I'm using 2 Gentle Typhoons in a Push/Pull configuration on my H50 as rear "intake."

I have 3 extra Gentle Typhoons and 3 extra 140mm (but they fit 120mm) Scythe Kaze Muros.

I can see the Kaze Muros put out more CFM at the cost of some additional noise, but what I'm confused about are:

1. Static pressure requirements for an upside down exhaust fan at the top of the case?
2. Something about bearings vs sleeved vs something that makes certain fans not good as upside down exhaust fans??!?
3. Finally, any suggestions for 140mm fans to replace the standard Corsair ones?

More about : gentle typhoon scythe kaze muro exhaust fan

a b ) Power supply
January 24, 2011 6:18:17 AM

Static pressure does very little for exhaust fans, unless the exhaust opening is very airflow limiting, which is not the case for your 800D.

As for which fans to use, I would suggest that you test them. See if the decrease temps are worth the increase in noise.

As for 140mm, there are only a few good ones. Most Xigmatek 140mm fans are pretty good, the Thermalright X-silent 140mm fan is good, and, of course, when in doubt Noctua.
m
l
January 24, 2011 12:57:16 PM

The 140mm Kaze Maru's are not good.. I have several of them and I removed them in favor of 120mm ones.

If possible I strongly suggest Thermalright TY-140 or X-silent 140mm
m
l
January 24, 2011 1:06:46 PM

Thanks for the input. Turns out I can't use the Kaze Maru's because they require 140mm clearance despite only fitting 120mm holes. My exhaust fans are side to side so I'm going to stick with the Gentle Typhoons.

I'll look into 140mm fans for intake on the bottom though!
m
l
!