Memory Slot 2 & 4 broken? Motherboard issue?

kozeni

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hello,

I recently decided to try and put together a computer. I was shown pcpartpicker.com to use for a template.
I ended up putting together this system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1oHY

I had a few issues putting it together, including not getting a display since there was no onboard video. Things worked out though, and I used another computer to load Windows 7 Home Premium on it. It seems to work fine...
Except that I seem to have memory issues. I decided to try only one stick of RAM and I have no problems. As soon as I try to use two, I have major issues including not being able to boot.

I've been browsing the forums here looking for answers. I've done everything I could to get to where I am. I also ran MemTest86+ more recently. I've tested both sticks of RAM individually. I've tested slots 1 and 3 as well. No errors.
Now I'm at a point where I cannot get the system to boot with RAM in slot 2 or 4 and I fear the slots may be shot on this new motherboard.
I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not I should return the motherboard in hopes of getting a replacement or if there was any other suggestions on what the problem is or how to fix it.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
some MFG's such as MSI wont boot properly with out dimm 1 populated (closest to the CPU). if you put the ram in slots 1 and 2 does the system boot? these same sticks in slot 1 and 3 does the system boot?

a bad MB, ram or cpu can cause such issues. if the ram sticks pass mem test in slot 1 then i woudl assume its not a memory issue but either an issue with MB or CPU. see if you can find a way to swap out your CPU with another and the same with your MB. prehaps a friend who has some spare parts. if you cant do this then if hte parts are new enough you could RMA the CPU and board. its possible they got ESD'd.

having improper voltage and bus settings can cause these issues as well, you should boot with 1 stick of ram, go into your bios and check your settings. you want to set things to there bottom speeds. so if you have 1333/1600mhz ram you wan to set it for 1333 for now and see how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS