Looking for Drobo alternatives

reptzo

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
So, I currently have 2 DroboPros (the 8 bay versions). I am looking to replace these, due to size limits, generic speed issues, extremely insane rebuild times (like 1-2 weeks). I currently have 24 3tb hdd.

I would like to consolidate all of this into 1 unit. That unit may be something like a 24bay norco case, or some external unit. The main goal is to simply have 1 big collection of drives. I currently use windows, and would like to stay on windows since I use the server for other things, but I am willing to consider things like ZFS and the like.

Budget is around $1500, since I would likely just be ebaying the drobopros once I swap the drives out of them. I already have all the server internal parts (cpu, mobo, ram (16gb), etc). Only hardware parts I would possibly need to buy is a better PSU, current is only 550w.

Some key issues:
- Must be able to dynamically add drives.
- Must allow drives of different sizes.
- Must be able to dynamically increase size of total array.
- Must offer some kind of redundancy (raid 6 like protection).
- Naturally, must be able to access stored data remotely over network like a shared folder easily from windows systems.
-- This sharing can be done via Windows itself or whatever OS is used instead (FreeNAS, LINUX, whatever)

I would likely be starting the array built with the 8 spare drives I have, then add the drives from each drobo as I copy the data off.

I looked into solutions like FlexRaid and SnapRaid. SnapRAID doesn't really seem to offer the real solutions I want, and FlexRAID seems to be some abandoned project done by a single dude. So these are kind of out of the running.

I can handle the learning aspects of a new OS, but due to costs I am not really interested in enterprise level stuff. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an enterprise level server rack setup in my house, but I don't really have the 10s of thousands for it, lol. I was looking into some lower cost 24 bay external hdd enclosures, but they start around the $2k range and go up fast.

I really don't need any fancy features. All I am storing is movies, tv, music, and such. Just a lot of it. I do want some fault tolerance when it comes to losing drives to hdd failure, at least dual disk redundancy (read - RAID 6).

All help is appreciated.

popatim

Titan
To me Rackmount = corporate world. I am well aware of those products. I have 200 servers and a 1.3 million dollar mainframe I am a slave to.

edit - the card you linked is an expander card and still needs an actual supported raid card to "Host" it.

FireWire2

Distinguished
<--- That is what you think, but there is no rule that home usage can not use rackmount. There is plenty users have rack mount server in their basement :)

You don't need RAID card, that defeats the ZFS purpose. You NEED a SAS HBA