PLEASE HELP!!! HOW DO I PROPERLY INSTALL 2 5850s IN CROSSFIRE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabloottawa

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Hey guys,

Quick questions about setting up 2 5850s in crossfire. Each of the two cards have 2 connections for power.... Together they have 4- 6 pin connectors.

My Power supply is a Cooler Master silent power pro 700 (RS-700-AMBA-D3) and it currently has 2 native 6 pin power connectors. Although this is fine to run one card and can even run 2, how do I configure it to run 2 cards if both cards need EVERYTHING CONNECTED? I have the adapters but each adapter needs 2- 4 pin connectors from the PSU meaning that altogether they need 4- 4 pin connectors which I simply do not have.

I've done countless and countless searches in forums and on you-tube and can't find one damm tutorial on how to properly setup 2 video cards in crossfire that have need 2- 6 pin connections EACH????? i mean, how can this be???? there's tons of information and tutorials and videos on 5850's in crossfire mode but not one tutorial, video or forum post mentions ANYTHING about the connections that the power supplies need to feed these monsters. Can someone please help me. I am getting really frustrated.

Solution

Sorry, saw 8 pin pcie and thought they were the 6+2 the two part being flexible and able to push out of the way.
Newer high end psu's are coming this way. for example 4 6+2's gives you the option of using 4 of either 6 - 8 pin.

edit:

This should allow you to plug in one of your 6+2's, the 6 part , and it will split it to two 6+2's...

pabloottawa

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010

Hey Notty,

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the link and the splitter doesn't have the connection points I'm looking for. The split PCI-E connections both have 8 pin... I need 6 pin. The other end of the splitter is a connection point that I don't think any of the cable running from the PSU can connect to..... VERY STRANGE.... HMMMMMM

notty22

Distinguished

Sorry, saw 8 pin pcie and thought they were the 6+2 the two part being flexible and able to push out of the way.
Newer high end psu's are coming this way. for example 4 6+2's gives you the option of using 4 of either 6 - 8 pin.

edit:

This should allow you to plug in one of your 6+2's, the 6 part , and it will split it to two 6+2's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706014&cm_re=8_pin_to_6_pin-_-12-706-014-_-Product

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.