Sign in with
Your question

How well would FSX perform on this machine

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2010 4:45:59 AM

I hate to ask another FSX performance related question but I am considering upgrading to a different machine and want to make sure I am satisfied with FSX's performance. Unfortunately, I know very little about which video cards matched with which processor equates to outstanding FSX performance (without spending an arm and a leg).

I found a good deal on a new Dell XPS 7100 with these specifics:

CPU / Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 (Quad Core) 630 2.8GHz, 2MB Cache
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Ram / Memory: 3GB DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024MB

I am currently running an older Dell XPS Gamer 4 with a Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz with 2 GB of RAM. I have a NVIDIA GF9600 512MB DDR3 video card installed and my FSX performance if poor. I operate in the low to mid teens on frame rates and sometimes dip into single digits. I have some of my scenery and aircraft settings med-high and do have a sizable amount of air traffic.

I don't expect to run FSX with HIGH settings across the board but would really like to be able to move my viewpoint while flying and not have it "skip" around. I want the nice, smooth transitions I see on Youtube FSX vids. I was hoping that this XPS 7100 would be just what the doctor ordered. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

wfd1063

More about : fsx perform machine

a c 169 U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 8:29:33 AM

5450 isn't a great card for gaming, i recommend at least a HD 5770/GTX 260 for playing games smoothly.
Aside from VGA,other specs look fine
September 10, 2010 12:33:47 PM

Thanks for the reply! Would taking my NVIDIA GF9600 from my current PC be a better option?

wfd1063
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 12:49:35 PM

it's more CPUdependant. I would put the 9600 in and you should be able to paly around mid ssettings throughout.
a c 355 U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 12:54:12 PM

Yes, use the 9600.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 1:18:12 PM

Is kkkk1 stated FSX is CPU dependant and will benefit most by buying a better CPU then GPU. Use the 9600 until you can upgrade it so that you can use any extra money now to get a better CPU.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 2:01:40 PM

Save the pennies for a better CPU eventually.
September 10, 2010 3:29:08 PM

If I understand you correctly, the AMD Athlon II X4 is still not a real strong CPU. Upgrading the CPU would be an option in a few months but isn't there additional hardware required?

In other words, my current PC is limited by the power supply and hardware so just buying a better CPU wouldn't cut it (This is what I have been told before). Would the XPS 7100 platform give me a better "package" so that a CPU upgrade would be easier or would I still be stuck upgrading everything else to get a better CPU.

I wouldn't mind buying this, putting my current graphics card in it, and then upgrading the CPU later but only if I not going to spend an arm and leg upgrading everything else. That defeats the purpose. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR FEEDBACK!!! THANKS!
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 7:07:04 PM

Like others said,FSX is a CPU limited game, however your CPU suffices for it, so keep your 9600GT or if you want to upgrade it,then consider something better than a 5450(i recommend minimum GTS 250/HD 5750)
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 7:17:23 PM

I'm an FSX freak and play it regularly. The point is with your Phenom and a 9600 it will play mostly on medium settings. However depending on which part of the world you play you will be able to play on high settings in some place and low in others. eg. Fly from Heathrow and you'll be playing on medium to low settings tops, however from east Midlands you could ramp it up to medium to high. It all depends on what you find acceptable. I play using an i7 @3.6 with 12Gb DDR3 and a 5970 and STILL can't play anywhere near full settings in some places. Admittidly I have tons of add ons and TrackIR and dual montiors etc. The bottom line is you will get a fairly good experience with your current setup but do consider a CPU upgrade to an i7 at a later date.
Good Luck.
September 10, 2010 8:05:24 PM

Thanks again for all of your feedback! kkkk1, I know exactly what you mean. I spend most of my flying time in the midwest US and while I have a few add-on sceneries and use Active Sky, I hope to see a decent improvement. Operating between 8-14 FPS has been driving me crazy!!!

I pulled the trigger and bought the thing but that leaves me with one more stupid question (and hopefully the last):

When my new PC arrives, what is the best way to "transfer" all of my files to it? I have backed up my personal files to thumb drives but my FSX stuff is way too big (my Simobjects folder alone is over 30 GB). I have an external HD case that I could install my current PC's HD in but I wasn't sure how that would exactly work (especially with a 64 bit system). Would it simply be "plug and play" where once I connect my old HD via USB I could then copy my files over to the new hard drive?

I can't say enough about how much I appreciate everyone's help with this!!! Us idiots that don't know squat about computers are really grateful to guys like you that do!

wfd1063
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 8:21:29 PM

wfd1063 said:
Thanks again for all of your feedback! kkkk1, I know exactly what you mean. I spend most of my flying time in the midwest US and while I have a few add-on sceneries and use Active Sky, I hope to see a decent improvement. Operating between 8-14 FPS has been driving me crazy!!!

I pulled the trigger and bought the thing but that leaves me with one more stupid question (and hopefully the last):

When my new PC arrives, what is the best way to "transfer" all of my files to it? I have backed up my personal files to thumb drives but my FSX stuff is way too big (my Simobjects folder alone is over 30 GB). I have an external HD case that I could install my current PC's HD in but I wasn't sure how that would exactly work (especially with a 64 bit system). Would it simply be "plug and play" where once I connect my old HD via USB I could then copy my files over to the new hard drive?

I can't say enough about how much I appreciate everyone's help with this!!! Us idiots that don't know squat about computers are really grateful to guys like you that do!

wfd1063

Yes it will be plug & play. I assume it will be the same OS other than 32bit vs 64bit. The directories will be the same just copy and paste your saved folders. You may have to re-install FSX first and then paste the data into the relevant folders.

1 Tip: Re-install FSX do the following:-

Install FSX
Run the game using a very quick flight from one destination to another
then install SP1 for FSX
then run another very quick flight from one destination to another. (doesn't really matter how far)
then install SP2 for FSX
Then run another flight.

The reason is if you don't run the game between service packs FSX has a bug that doens't like to use multiple cores. Since you have a Phenpm it would be disastrous if it didn't take advantage of those cores. Please run the game between service packs. read PC Pilot for further info.
September 10, 2010 9:15:38 PM

Thanks again!!!!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2011 10:36:40 PM

Hi guys,

I'm building a config to play mainly FSX with the add-ons like, Real Environment Xtreme 2.0, Shockwave - 3D Lights Redux, FSX Booster Version 2.9, Aerosoft MyTraffic 2010, Ultimate Airport Environment X...

Pretty much to boost FSX and have excelent graphics. I have a Samsung TV 40'' LCD, playing 1920x1080, and want to make it the main screen, maybe in the future run some of the gauges in another screen.

I'm looking for a "i5-2500 - 3.3ghz" and a "EVGA GTS450 1024MB", 4Gb RAM but not sure if it will hold high/ultra high graphical settings on FSX.

I've been reading lately and seems that GTS450 is not a good choice??, maybe a "EVGA GTX460 1GB Superclocked"??, which is still within my budget. Am I asking too much for such configuration? 6 Gb RAM will make difference?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers
January 7, 2014 3:37:41 PM

The HD 5450 is a good card for FSX. I own one as of now, I am getting a new computer with GTX 660 SLI's, but I run FSX on my 5450 maxed out. Since then I have overclocked so I'm not sure how much more FPS I'll get but still, there ya go :) 
!