AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Hello. You should start by telling us what you are using the PC for. We can suggest motherboards from under $45 all the way to $300, so a budget would be nice too. Do you want to crossfire, or is one video card sufficient? How about onboard video, would you use it?

Maurice-88

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Alright then.

The pc is going to be used mostly for gaming. Buget is not a problem. Want to have something usefull for in the near future. Also i'm going to use crossfire.

Maurice-88

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
The ASUS Crosshair IV EXTREME looks awesome. Budget is not a problem, so i think this is gonna be the one.

Thanks for the answer!

acer0169

Distinguished
Even if budget is not a problem, don't buy a £300 board or someting when you don't need it. Check what other components you'll have, and what features you will actually need and make use of, and then pick a board that suits that spec.

The Crosshair IV is a sexy board though I'll give you that ;).

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Guess everyone should stop buying BMW mercedes and Ferrari because I can guarantee none (99.9 %) of them drive the cars within 3/10 of the cars capabilities . Lets all drive a Lada because it will do what we NEED , get us where we are going .
I got the Gigabyte 890 FXA UD5 with AMD 1100t, do I need it ?? Maybe , so far I'm happy with it .

acer0169

Distinguished

Not exactly what I'm saying..

I have a 1090T at 4.0GHz, 8GB RAM and two GTX 260's in SLI. I obviously don't NEED all that.. but at least my components are making use of one-another.

There would be no point in me selling my £100 motherboard, and buying a £300 board because I wouldn't gain anything.

I'm not saying to buy shite components, but there would be no point getting a £300 motherboard if he's going to put a single graphics card in there and a CPU that could be run on a £80 board.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

and if he feels like adding 1 or 2 vid cards in the future , like 2-3 months ?

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Get the Asus Crosshair 4 Formula. on 3.6Ghz I run it on superPI 32 got a 25sec better score than on the gigabytes. Just get a pair of very good ram sticks coz the NB and the IMC are a big improvement over the X4's. So you will see the performance with good sticks and tight ram settings.
I got a a Gigabyte 890 fxa , I will run my AMD at 3.6 and see what super PI 32 time I get , bet it is as good as the ASUS board

acer0169

Distinguished

Then he gets a better motherboard as I suggested?

I'm simply saying if you are going to use a single GPU and slow RAM then there is no reason to buy the very best board you can find. If he plans to add more graphics cards down the line then yes of course he sould buy the better board.