Restore factory settings windows 7

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Factory Restore
Last response: in Windows 7
November 14, 2011 5:00:20 PM

Hello,
I have forgotten my windows 7 logon password and have been told that the only way I can solve this problem is to restore my laptop to factory settings. I have been told by TechGuys that this is not possible with Windows 7 and that I have to pay around £80 to have HP do it for me. Is this correct?

More about : restore factory settings windows

November 14, 2011 5:15:10 PM

well, you don't have to pay money to reset the password, but you'll have to do some investigating yourself.

The most obvious way, is to remove the HDD from the laptop and back it up with a second PC and a HDD case (or whatever). Then reformat the drive, install windows, and restore the data from your backup.

As for cracking windows passwords without doing that, I'm fairly sure that discussing it isn't allowed on this website. There are other sites that will tell you this information with a bit of a google search.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 14, 2011 6:01:31 PM

rundalld said:
I have been told by TechGuys that this is not possible with Windows 7 and that I have to pay around £80 to have HP do it for me. Is this correct?
It is not correct.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 14, 2011 6:11:36 PM

Hi rundalld

You have not said what version of 7 (home, professional, ultimate etc)

If it is a home pc that has never been on a company network the administrator account may not have a password.

if it has a password then Google 'peter nordahl hagen' or 'offline nt password editor'

If you want to protect the data on a PC's hard disk then the user login password is not much use, you need both encryption and restricting access to the PC

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l
January 10, 2013 10:11:46 PM

hi
m
l
January 10, 2013 10:13:58 PM

any one know how to fix my computer i'm trying to do open factory restore and it says i need to install stpdll something only way it can open some one help please?
m
l
!