Sign in with
Your question

Huge problem with new pc

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2010 12:47:40 AM

so this is my first pc build and it has given me nothing but headaches

so the problem i am facing is my computer locks up during windows of a install of ubuntu

no matter what i do i can no fix this i have rma'd the ram have it at its correct voltage it work in a different pc

i have test the power supply on my old computer and i works fine also

along with both hard drives.

so i am guess it is the processor as it locks up almost at the same time in windows and ubuntu

but i read so much about it not being the processor that im skeptical about it.

my specs are

gtx 470
asruckm3a770me
ripjaw 2x2gb 1600mhz
corsair tx 750w
x3 720

i only have 100$ Left to find a solution and i believe the processor isnt under warranty for longer then 30 days which itt has all ready passed

More about : huge problem

October 30, 2010 1:44:11 AM

i have used the hard drive for the last 2 years and it is perfect in my old computer

and i have followed the steps my computer boots find i can run memtest86+ for 12 hours + i know cause i have
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2010 2:44:56 AM

some more advice please :) 
m
l
October 30, 2010 4:06:44 AM

tecmo34 said:
Have you reviewed the "troubleshooting thread" for further tips??

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Have you tried a different hard drive in your PC? I had an defective Samsung Spinpoint F3 that won't work but looked like it was good in another PC.

you know i dont think i can thank you enough... i switched hard drives to see and its been installing linux without a hitch for the last about 30minutes , if this actually continues to work i will mark you as best answer. THANK YOU SO MUCH :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :whistle: 
m
l
October 30, 2010 4:23:36 AM

...and it froze... so now i have no fricken clue im so lost on what it could actually be?

please someone/
m
l
October 30, 2010 2:29:37 PM

Let me get the problem clarified.

Your computer freezes up during the install of the ubuntu operating system. So you are unable to get an operating system to download onto the computer right?
m
l
October 30, 2010 5:24:09 PM

no the problem is it freezes randomly in every o/s i have installed sometimes it will work for awhile and let me install windows 7 or ubuntu or it will freeze ... now if i get them installed it will freeze some where between 2s to 1 minute into the o/s but if i use memtest it never freezes
m
l
October 30, 2010 5:59:33 PM

Ah then not sure if what I can sugguest will do any good since you probably already tried it. Also couldnt find the MB asruckm3a770me so assuming it was AsrucKM3A770DE

reset bios back to defaults just in case something was changed by mistake. (if possible get the newest bios)
make sure you installed the cpu properly with thermal paste and cooling (avoid OC anything until you know everything is working good)
Confirm your processor is supported by your motherboard.
Also confirm your ram is supported by your mother board.
m
l
October 30, 2010 7:13:21 PM

ya i have done all that im either going to replace the motherboard or cpu as i know everything else is fine but im not sure which one to replace i only have 100$
m
l
!