Wait Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

AdamOnFirst

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So I've been planning on building a new PC, and I'd resolved to wait until black Friday when I can attack a nearby Microcenter and really find some deals, then pick up the rest on Cyber Monday, but I'm wondering if I should pounce on a particular deal right now. newegg is selling ZOTAC GeForce 460 768MBs for $140 a pop after rebate, and you get free shipping and a free copy of HAWX 2 as a bonus. I've begun to lean pretty heavily towards getting two 460's to run in SLI for my GPU setup if I can find the right price, and at this price, I could get a sweet setup for under $300.

SO my question is, should I pounce now while this deal is out there, or should I be patient and wait until black friday. If I wait and don't find a better deal, will the price for this card still be similar/the same?

Keep in mind I won't buy any other components until black friday, so the two GPUs would just sit on my desk until then, so there's no incentive to buy sooner to get onto the new rig asap.

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If you were to hop on that deal, I would suggest you go for the dual Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB combo deal they have going on right now with rebates, dropping the price down to about $160 each plus two free (same) games.

But since you're going to wait until late November to get the rest of your PC, I don't see why should should get it at all right now. There will always be sales and deals. Even more so because of the holiday season. I have seen this Gigabyte dual GPU deal on an off all summer each time dropping ever so slightly. With the next gen HD69xx cards due in November, there is no reason for the current GPUs to hold their price unless nVidia wants everyone to buy AMD instead. I expect them to drop a few bucks, around $5-$10, but I can't say much for the deals. Just don't keep your mind set on a specific model and you should be fine. If one card doesn't have a deal, there will always be another one with one.

AdamOnFirst

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
If anybody else is curioust the GPU question, two 460's at 768 MBs are an incredible deal. The 460s run at very very high (near 90%) efficiency in SLI, and the 468s are much much cheaper. I actually got 2 460 768s for a total of $245 bucks.

AdamOnFirst

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

If you read on, you'll see I also mentioned deals like that. It's because newegg is offering 10% of every desktop GPU on the site through 11/12, so you can pull another 10% down.

One thing to note, though, is you have to be careful if you buy more than one (I bought 2 to run in SLI) because most companies will only honor the mail in rebate once, even if you bought two to run together. A few companies will though, so just make sure you read the fine print. I saved $50 this way.

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

Your wrong xD
The first one runs at 100% efficiency, the second one at about 90% giving 190% total.
You imply that they run at 90% x 2 = 180% xD

AdamOnFirst

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Ok, that's kind of a pedantic nt, but alright, for anybody wanting to get REALLY specific. Here's a link of some tests that show how well it worksL

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/