Memory upgrade question

Lux_55

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hello,

Found a bad memory stick (Corsair CM2X1024-6400) in my home built system and decided this might be a good time to upgrade from 2GB. The ASUS site for my M2N32-SLI mobo says it supports;

Dual channel memory architecture
4 x DIMM, max. 8GB, DDR2-800/667/533, ECC and non-ECC, un-buffered memory

This implies it should take 2GB DIMMs, but the qualified vendor lists my Cosair and many other brands, but only the 1GB (or less) parts. The only 2GB DIMM it lists is from Elpida.

Do you think I could use a comparably spec'd 2GB part from another vendor (such as Cosair or Crucial) in the first bank (allowing future expansion) or should I jut buy 3 more 1GB parts? The price for both options is very close. TIA, Terry

Solution
Corsair has a RAM selector on their website where you can enter the mobo model and find the appropriate RAM that works. The mobo maker QVL list only shows what they have confirmed to work - usually when the first mobos are released. A RAM mfgs. website is likely to be more up to date.

I would NOT suggest mixing of RAM even the same part number DIMMs as they are not guaranteed to function without issues. DDR2 is less sensitive than DDR3 due to a lower frequency but RAM is relatively cheap right now so I'd buy ONE matched, tested RAM kit and be done with it.

beenthere

Distinguished
Corsair has a RAM selector on their website where you can enter the mobo model and find the appropriate RAM that works. The mobo maker QVL list only shows what they have confirmed to work - usually when the first mobos are released. A RAM mfgs. website is likely to be more up to date.

I would NOT suggest mixing of RAM even the same part number DIMMs as they are not guaranteed to function without issues. DDR2 is less sensitive than DDR3 due to a lower frequency but RAM is relatively cheap right now so I'd buy ONE matched, tested RAM kit and be done with it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS