Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from AMD Phenom II X4 940 to Phenom II X6

Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2011 2:52:12 PM

Hi everybody,

I currently have a system built round a Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3P motherboard and a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition CPU.

I am trying to work out if is is worth upgrading. The significant use of the box is for video editing. I use Sony Vegas which does real time editing for almost any AV file format. Vegas fully utilised as many cores as you throw at it (I believe). Occasionally things don't play totally smooth when I am using a few filters and doing a credit roll, this is why I am looking to upgrade.

My options seem to be Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 Ghz@£180 Or Phenom II X4 970 3.5Ghz@£142.

I think they are both supported by my motherboard (which is AM2+).

So the question is which chip to go for and what kind of performance increase am I likely to see for real-time rendering in Vegas (10/20% etc.). Which of these chips should I go for or maybe it just is not worth upgrading.

Regards,
Ben

a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 295 V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 4:21:59 PM

funkytwig said:
Hi everybody,

I currently have a system built round a Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3P motherboard and a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition CPU.

I am trying to work out if is is worth upgrading. The significant use of the box is for video editing. I use Sony Vegas which does real time editing for almost any AV file format. Vegas fully utilised as many cores as you throw at it (I believe). Occasionally things don't play totally smooth when I am using a few filters and doing a credit roll, this is why I am looking to upgrade.

My options seem to be Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 Ghz@£180 Or Phenom II X4 970 3.5Ghz@£142.

So the question is which chip to go for and what kind of performance increase am I likely to see for real-time rendering in Vegas (10/20% etc.). Which of these chips should I go for or maybe it just is not worth upgrading.

Regards,
Ben

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

You need BE sure that your mobo support those CPUs, you mobo DON'T support none of those CPUs.

What's your mobo revision?

Rev. 1.0: Phenom II X4 955 C3 95W, using F5 BIOS version
Rev. 1.2: Phenom II X4 955 C3 95W, using F5 BIOS version
Rev. 2.0: Phenom II X6 1055T E0 95W, using FB bios vesion
Rev. 2.3: Phenom II X6 1055T E0 95W, using F1 bios vesion
Rev. 2.4: Phenom II X6 1055T E0 95W, using F1 bios vesion

The above CPUs are the CPU supported by the mobo and revision.
Related resources
January 24, 2011 10:15:57 PM

I have run into somewhat of the same issue. I bought a MSI board and a 1055t processor, which at the time was on the list of supported processors.

I fried 2 of these mobos, then found out that they had removed support for all 125w CPU's. I am guessing that may be what happened here, too.

I don't know if I'd take a chance with either new processor and your current mobo.
a c 86 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 12:39:22 AM

even if you could upgrade to those cpu's, you wont see much of a performance increase anyway.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 12:49:27 AM

funkytwig said:
Hi everybody,

Regards,
Ben

It doesn't seem like the mobo supports X6 CPU's. I also agree that you may not see much improvement in performance, however video editing is one area that would be improved. I do believe you'll have to upgrade the motherboard to use the 1090T. Which means ram, mobo, cpu $300+.

I also am in the same dilemma somewhat. My PC is plenty fast for anything I need to do with it, but my upgrade options are limited. I am running the X4 940 @ 3.6 Ghz on a Biostar board, but they will not support the X6 processors at any point with that model. Its a bummer, but I have resigned myself to waiting for Bulldozer to change mobo, ram, CPU etc. I can wait 6 months and it looks like it will be worth the wait.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 12:53:20 AM

mosox said:
This is strange your mobo doesn't have 125W CPU support how do you run that CPU on it?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

What's the speed of your CPU in CPUZ?

I ran a 125W Phenom I X4 9850 in my wife's am2 Geforce 6150 $40 motherboard and it was not rated to do that. I think it was 90W max. Only thing I ever noticed with that board is the CPU always seemed to run a little hot, 40C at idle with no OC. Was only able to OC to 3.0 Ghz, but that's not bad considering the feeble motherboard.
!