external memory device

FireHarbinger

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
So my old computer (Acer on vista) used to have no problems. I got an external hard drive and moved all the data I wanted to move over to it and ejected it. Later when I went back on and started my computer It said that The external memory device isn't in/available. My computer thinks that the external is the ONLY memory device available so I cant save or do anything without the stupid external device.
How can I solve this problem?
Or is there anyway to 'reset to factory settings' to start a new?

EDIT: Just to add more details
The notification window I got read the following:
Location Not Available
E:\NewFolder\Nameofdevice\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

I have tried everything I could to bypass it, but if any application or document is opened, when the computer turns on, when in ‘my computer’ it will always pop up. When it is not plugged in. It was meant to serve as a copy of all contents on the computer and instead it thinks it is the only memory option available. I took it into a computer services store and it got worse. I need to make my computer forget the device or to somehow switch it back over to the computers internal memory.

I prefer to not reformat the memory device at this time because all my files are on it so I would have to transfer them all back onto the computer, which isn’t possible with the memory hiccup.

I use external SATA drives on my old machine, to be able to plug the in and out correctly I had to enter the machines BIOS and enable hotswap for the sata port that I was using.

Otherwise, lots of issues, windows detected the device and ened up with a bunch of hidden entries in the device hardware list. Things just never worked correctly until I found out how to show hidden entries in the device list (registry key) and delete them all. Things worked much better when windows was told the device could be removed (told by BIOS via the hotswap port setting)

edit: here is a link to show how to find the hidden entries, just fyi
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

popatim

Titan
When you moved the files it deleted them off the c drive and is now looking for them on the external drive. It looks like you moved your desktop...
Reattach the drive and move the files back. Once done you can COPY the files you want to the external drive.