Gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3 crashes in dual memory mode

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hey guys I'm trying to build a new computer for a friend. I hooked him up with a Gigabyte z68x-UD4-B3 running an i5 2500k. We've got two DDR3 sticks in, but whenever we run it in dual channel mode the system crashes as soon as we run prime95. It's not a heating issue because if we run 1 stick the machine works fine. I tried running in different dual channels 2,4, and it still didn't work.

So from left to right if the CPU is on the left

[CPU] 0 1 0 1 fails
[CPU] 1 0 1 0 fails
[CPU] 0 0 1 1 works
[CPU] 0 0 0 1 works

The top two are the recommended dual channel modes.

Any idea what could cause this? Should we return the RAM or the board? Thanks guys.

Don't use XMP and try Clearing CMOS; the top (2) that failed are the (2) Dual Channel configurations supported by your MOBO. IF the memory is not part of KIT then return and get a supported KIT.

IF the Clear CMOS fails then RMA the memory for a supported Kit; either the memory is defective, non-matched kit, or sometimes a MOBO short can cause the problem.

Supported Kits -> See -> http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3849#memory%20support%20list and pretty much any DDR3 1.50v Matched Kits.

Short - Use the OEM HSF and unscrew all of the MOBO and PCIe screws and dangle the MOBO away from anything conductive supported by a towel.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Patriot Sector 5 D series DDR3 PC3-1066 1333mhz, so I guess that should work right? I'm going to try to clear cmos and swap out ram and see what happens. Thanks so far, also what is XMP?

Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

It's the Intel-developed JEDEC SPD extension for DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs. This extension uses bytes 176–255 of the SPD EEPROM, which are unallocated by JEDEC, to encode higher-performance memory timings.

You can use CPU-Z to display the memory modules' SPD timings table. You will usually see JEDEC and XMP memory profiles if the memory modules' SPD EEPROM have XMP support.