Kadak Easyshare Backweb Spyware / Adware ??

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 11, 2005 1:40:51 PM

I'm helping someone over the phone with a popup ad problem. He has a
firewall and it has Backweb in the easyshare folder permitted. I can block
it but I want to know if deleting the backweb executable will prevent
easyshare from working properly. He has a virus & spyware scanner installed.
nothing unusual so I assume the backweb is causing the popups.

Googling seems to indicate the software is used for checking for software
updates and some seem to think it is spyware. At any rate, I'd like it gone.
At least it is one less thing using precious dial-up bandwidth.
Thanks, bg
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:40:52 PM

BG250 wrote:
> I'm helping someone over the phone with a popup ad problem. He has a
> firewall and it has Backweb in the easyshare folder permitted. I can block
> it but I want to know if deleting the backweb executable will prevent
> easyshare from working properly. He has a virus & spyware scanner installed.
> nothing unusual so I assume the backweb is causing the popups.
>
> Googling seems to indicate the software is used for checking for software
> updates and some seem to think it is spyware. At any rate, I'd like it gone.
> At least it is one less thing using precious dial-up bandwidth.
> Thanks, bg

The Kodak Backweb implemention is for update notification and
distribution. It doesn't do popups.
Feel free to block it from internet access. The only thing it will do
is avoid update notification.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Thanks, I'll leave it alone, just block it.
bg

> BG250 wrote:
> > I'm helping someone over the phone with a popup ad problem. He has a
> > firewall and it has Backweb in the easyshare folder permitted. I can
block
> > it but I want to know if deleting the backweb executable will prevent
> > easyshare from working properly. He has a virus & spyware scanner
installed.
> > nothing unusual so I assume the backweb is causing the popups.
> >
> > Googling seems to indicate the software is used for checking for
software
> > updates and some seem to think it is spyware. At any rate, I'd like it
gone.
> > At least it is one less thing using precious dial-up bandwidth.
> > Thanks, bg
> >

> The Kodak Backweb implemention is for update notification and
> distribution. It doesn't do popups.
> Feel free to block it from internet access. The only thing it will do
> is avoid update notification.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 12, 2005 2:54:27 PM

Greetings BG,

The Kodak Updater is not Spyware!

You do not have to do anything given the situation you have noted. If you do
want to remove EasyShare, however, (your phone partner will not get auto
updates to this program) you can select Start/Programs/Kodak/Kodak
EasyShare/Kodak Updater and select the disable offering.

The Kodak Updater can also be uninstalled from the system by:

1. Opening the Control Panel.
2. Double left click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Find and uninstall the KODAK Software Updater.
4. Restart the computer.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"BG250" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> I'm helping someone over the phone with a popup ad problem. He has a
> firewall and it has Backweb in the easyshare folder permitted. I can block
> it but I want to know if deleting the backweb executable will prevent
> easyshare from working properly. He has a virus & spyware scanner
installed.
> nothing unusual so I assume the backweb is causing the popups.
>
> Googling seems to indicate the software is used for checking for software
> updates and some seem to think it is spyware. At any rate, I'd like it
gone.
> At least it is one less thing using precious dial-up bandwidth.
> Thanks, bg

February 6, 2005 3:21:07 PM

It might be helpful if Kodak could change the program name in the
future. Backweb certainly sounds more like spyware than an update
program. I had no idea what it did until I googled it.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 5:10:13 PM

Greetings Kris,

As you know, the Backweb is a service that Kodak uses. The feature in the
Kodak EasyShare Software is the Kodak Updater, which updates your Kodak
software behind the scenes so you always have the latest version or are
aware of the latest version. Actually, it uses Backweb in the same way that
Microsoft and Symantec does. Keeps you up to date. The software is
sometimes detected as Spyware due to it working in the background. It is
quite safe and you can be assured that Kodak would never seek out any
information from you in any unknown way.

Talk to you soon, Kris, let me know if you have a question.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Kris" <kris14@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It might be helpful if Kodak could change the program name in the
> future. Backweb certainly sounds more like spyware than an update
> program. I had no idea what it did until I googled it.

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 7:25:19 AM

Ron Baird <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote:
>Greetings Kris,

>As you know, the Backweb is a service that Kodak uses. The feature in the
>Kodak EasyShare Software is the Kodak Updater, which updates your Kodak
>software behind the scenes so you always have the latest version or are
>aware of the latest version. Actually, it uses Backweb in the same way that
>Microsoft and Symantec does. Keeps you up to date. The software is
>sometimes detected as Spyware due to it working in the background. It is
>quite safe and you can be assured that Kodak would never seek out any
>information from you in any unknown way.

>Talk to you soon, Kris, let me know if you have a question.

>Ron Baird
>Eastman Kodak Company

I appreciate your message.

However, the fact that the product will be "calling home"
should be revealed to the end user. And there should be
an option to turn it off.

Why? Because it is my computer. It does not belong to
a corporation or anyone else. And I resent it being
"taken over", even in a benign way, without my having
any control.

Please don't think I'm picking on Kodak. I'm not. What
happens is that I note a fair amount of "calling home"
activity on my computer and I have no idea which particular
programs are doing it.

---- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 7:25:20 AM

Paul J Gans wrote:
> Ron Baird <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote:
>
>>Greetings Kris,
>

>>As you know, the Backweb is a service that Kodak uses. The feature in the
>>Kodak EasyShare Software is the Kodak Updater, which updates your Kodak
>>software behind the scenes so you always have the latest version or are
>>aware of the latest version. Actually, it uses Backweb in the same way that
>>Microsoft and Symantec does. Keeps you up to date. The software is
>>sometimes detected as Spyware due to it working in the background. It is
>>quite safe and you can be assured that Kodak would never seek out any
>>information from you in any unknown way.
>

>>Talk to you soon, Kris, let me know if you have a question.
>

>>Ron Baird
>>Eastman Kodak Company
>

> I appreciate your message.
>
> However, the fact that the product will be "calling home"
> should be revealed to the end user. And there should be
> an option to turn it off.
>
> Why? Because it is my computer. It does not belong to
> a corporation or anyone else. And I resent it being
> "taken over", even in a benign way, without my having
> any control.
>
> Please don't think I'm picking on Kodak. I'm not. What
> happens is that I note a fair amount of "calling home"
> activity on my computer and I have no idea which particular
> programs are doing it.
>
> ---- Paul J. Gans

It IS mentioned that the updater will be checking for updates, and it IS
possible to turn it off. Just deselect the update option. If you have
a good firewall program, you can also prohibit it from accessing the
internet (if you don't have a good firewall GET ONE). Much ado about
nothing.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!