Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer not Booting - Graphics Card Issue?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2010 5:19:06 PM

Hey all, I have a custom built computer and for some reason am having trouble booting up my computer. My computer will boot and load all the way to the Windows loading screen and then just go black and restart itself.

Here is what I have inside.

- MSI Diamond P45 Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor (Frequency 2.83GHz, FSB: 1333Hz, Transistor: 45nm)
- XFX 260 GTX graphics card (1)
- 4gb of Corsair DDR3 Dual Channel Ram (4096MB PC10600 DDR3)
- BFG 800 watt PSU
- Seagate 7200 RPM 500GB Harddrive (1) (Main HDD - Has Operating SysT)
- Western Digital 5400 RPM 2TB Harddrive (1) (This is run as an external)

Also, I have read various other threads on this site, but, this is my first time actually posting.

If you need, my computer and CPU normally run anywhere from 30 degrees C on idle and as high as 40 or 45 degrees C on "multitasking", which is where I play Starcraft II, download torrents and listen to WinAmp.

I have run a TON of tests from Hirens bootcd, which include but are not limited to HDD test on both HDD's, Memtest, BootFIX, rull computer disgnostic and a few others, BUT, all tests have come back JUST FINE!.

What do I do next?

oh and FYI - I thought it was my PSU (as read in other posts), but, I bought a new PSU from Micro Center and it still didn't work

a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 5:44:07 PM

have you tried a different OS to see if it also happens?

try reseating the cmos by taking out the mobo battery for about 30 minutes then put it back in
Score
September 10, 2010 6:09:46 PM

I have no tried a different OS, I cannot boot my computer currently. I just realized i did not mention that I am using Windows XP 32bit
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2010 7:07:32 PM

It maybe a video card driver problem. Does it boot OK into safe mode?

If it does, uninstall the driver and run driver sweeper once complete reboot and install a different driver. If this doesn't help you may have a problem with either the video card itself or maybe a PSU on the way out. Try the above. ( 1 step at a time).
September 10, 2010 11:12:32 PM

I have not tried booting the computer into safe boot, I assumed it would not boot into safe mode at all.

The PSU issue I tried and stated above that I bought and installed a new PSU, but, it did not work. I actually returned that PSU to Micro Center today.

However, thank you for the video card suggestion, you are probably the 4th person I have talked to that mentioned my video card.

What do you think I should do if my computer does not boot into safe mode? Should I buy a new graphics card and try it out, or is there another way to check my graphics card?
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2010 3:18:15 AM

check cpu tems from the bios, i know you mentioned they were low before but the heatsink could have loosened for some reason.

Score
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2010 11:57:01 AM

bigk_88 said:
I have not tried booting the computer into safe boot, I assumed it would not boot into safe mode at all.

The PSU issue I tried and stated above that I bought and installed a new PSU, but, it did not work. I actually returned that PSU to Micro Center today.

However, thank you for the video card suggestion, you are probably the 4th person I have talked to that mentioned my video card.

What do you think I should do if my computer does not boot into safe mode? Should I buy a new graphics card and try it out, or is there another way to check my graphics card?

If it won't boot into safe mode it could be a problem with the video card. Is there a friend who you could borrow a card from to test this maybe? You could also try running a repair on the windows installation by booting from your windows disc.
Score
September 13, 2010 1:49:31 AM

UPDATE:

So I took apart my entire PC about 4 times over the weekend to see if possibly I knocked something loose when I moved my PC from my desk to the floor and everthing is fine.

I also took KKKK1's advice and took out the CMOS battery, but, I am 99.9% sure that messed up my computer even more because not my HDD's (both Sata ATA) will not load up in the bios or even recgonized by Windows...

PLEASE HELP!!! I am on my last whim with my PC.

Now I am thinking it might be my motherboard....I have not tried the Video card yet because I want my HDD's to POST!
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 11:52:40 AM

Check in the BIOS that your HD's are not set to IDE. Also Have you got RAID set in your BIOS as this will cause a problem trying to boot from the HD if the rest of the BIOS is not set up right. Taking out the CMOS basically resets the BIOS to default settings.
Score
September 14, 2010 2:30:37 PM

kkkk1

I have tried a few different RAID configurations because my motherboard has two RAID controllers. I have set the controllers to RAID and to ACHI, but, the HDD (just the 500gb, I unplugged the 2tb to see if just the 500gb would work) will not POST.

If you would like, I can put up some screen shots of my BIOS later, but, I brought everything down to the bare minimum:1 stick of ram, no sound card, 1 HDD, set my CPU to normal settings and set my ram to stock settings.

UPDATE: My computer boots and my motherboard shows all green lights (meaning no hardware issues), but, my HDD's still will not POST.

Any suggestions? I am starting to think my mobo is bad.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 7:09:15 PM

Do you get any beeps at all when you power on? If so post the number here along with the type of BIOS. It's difficult to advise when you can't go through the settings yourself as many BIOS's are different. On my old PC I had RAID setup and had to add my HD as a bootable add in device becuase the IDE controller took precedence over SATA. (Also i'm sure you've tried this but check your HD is set in your boot order as I have known people to accidently disable it by accident).
Score
September 21, 2010 2:11:07 PM

UPDATE: My computer is up and running fine, without any problems. I simply brought everything down to the bare minimum, reformatted the HDD with a fresh copy of Windows and boom, done.

I actually took everything apart one by one, including my motherboard from my HTPC case. I found out that my mother board was a little loose (not sitting inside the case tight enough) and that a stick of ram may have come loose when I moved my computer, thus causing my computer not to load properly.

Thank you all for your help!
Score
September 21, 2010 2:12:19 PM

Best answer selected by bigk_88.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 7, 2010 10:34:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!