corbinw

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I currently have an EVGA GTX 285. I just recently found out that it has been crapping out on me, and the only way of fixing it was to underclock it to 617/1207.

I was looking at getting a EVGA GTX 460 to replace it, they are cheap and they seem to be equal speeds to what my GTX 285 should be running at.

I do play Bad Company 2 quite often, and before I had to underclock, I got about 55 FPS average.

Any suggestions?

Did you clean the heat sink and fan first before underclocking?
GTX460 1 GB is a good replacement.

D

Deleted member 217926

EVGA has the best warranty around. If you have a card ending in AR you should have a lifetime warranty. If you have a TR card it is 2 years. Hopefully you registered your card to get the most out of the warranty. EVGA has an excellent website and forums to help you. I suggest you go there or contact EVGA directly. Even if you did not register it you might still get lucky.

corbinw

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I play at 1680x1050.

There is a story with my GTX 285.. Before that I had a GTX 275 Co-op, and with this new motherboard I got, it just didn't work, so EVGA was more then kind enough to swap it with a GTX 285.

Till I soon realized that it was defective.

I had a year warranty with the GTX 275 which obviously didn't change when I got the GTX 285, which ends in a few weeks.

I did make sure it was clean, I made sure it was running cool, I did the driversweeper in safe mode. The only thing that kept this card from crashing was underclocking.

It's honestly no big deal to get a new card, especially a GTX 460 since they are great prices for a great performance card.

So the GTX 275 (which was replaced with a GTX 285) is still within warranty? If so, why not get them to replace it again for free? Still saves you about $230. *shrug*

Worst case, if it is under warranty, have them replace it and sell the "New" one. Then that $230 GTX 460 is cheaper.

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I have the EVGA GTX 460 1GB SC and it's a great card. I upgraded from a 9800gtx+ 1gb so the upgrade was substantial. Those average fps you described are similar to mine, but mine are lower because I play at 1920/1080 resolution.

You will find that the card is much smaller and runs much cooler, therefore it is less noisy and consumes less energy. I'd say go for it and you will not be disappointed, but why not go for the 470 so that you can get some kind of step up?

Whatever you do, look out for a sale or a free game included. The superclocked version is great and guaranteed stable so I recommend you get that one.

Crazeycaleb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Before you buy one i would make a note of a few things. 1. How long you plan on keeping the card? There are 2 companys that offer lifetime warrantys on their cards.
2. How quiet you want to be. 3. do you have the space/the right PSU for the gtx460 (adding that most of the gtx 460's are smaller in size). If you dont care what warranty it has then its really up to you. The MSI is faster but louder but runs coolest. The zotac one is slower and louder runs kind of warm. The EVGA one is fast but the quietest of them all and runs the cool. I would suggest either way you look at buying a 1gb card instead of the 768mb its all around faster and about $20 more cant beat that. Also look at which one is most clockable from my research i have found that MSI is the most clockable followed close by EVGA They both come with software to overclock it. Most of the EVGA ones come with a few free games. MSI is generally about $20-$30 cheaper then EVGA.

Crazeycaleb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Gtx 460 is better by quiet a bit. It runs off the same fermi core as the gtx 480 (104 which is the newest from nvidia). Gtx 460 is superclockable and it runs about 2x quieter then the gtx 285 and cooler for that matter. From the test i read. I read about 10 test or so from the internet. The gtx 460 runs about 10 degrees Celsius cooler. The gtx 460 is faster in all aspects including memory. Gtx 295 runs in 192-216 cores....GTX 460 runs in 192-256 cores depending on which one you buy. Thats not to include the ram which the ddr 5 runs about 4x faster then the ddr3.

corbinw

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
If I were to buy a GTX 460, I would definitely go with EVGA only because that company has done so much for me in the past, and I don't want to leave ...ever :love: :love:

I was originally wanting to do SLI, so buying one GTX 460 now then one later was obviously my plan.

I was wanting to do SLI with the GTX 285, but of course they don't sell them anymore, plus, mine is all messed up.

I would do the RMA with EVGA, but I have been without a computer all summer, the last thing I want is to wait another 2 weeks, I can handle it being slower for a little bit while I wait for my GTX 460 to get here.

Plus, I was just going to pop this under-clocked video card into my Core 2 Duo set for my girlfriend.

I have a 1100W PSU, more then enough.

The only reason I don't suggest getting a 470 or 480 card is only because of price, the GTX 460 are priced so nicely, its like getting a sale on candy :kaola: :kaola:

Now that you guys are saying GTX 460 is faster then my GTX 285, that makes me want to spend the money now.. plus of all the room for overclocking, its crazy!

Crazeycaleb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Yes the room is redonkulus. Yes thats right i went there. Even with a factory overclock if i remember right its about a 12% over clock and they are said to be overclock able to 25-30% so there is still some room to play there. One thing i am researching now is if you can SLI at gtx 260 with a gtx 460. I have read it is possible but it would be as good as 2 of the same cards. Either way i plan on going to 2 460's before christmas. Sad part is i dont play many if any games that would use that. ;( ;(. Since you said evga let me get the part number for you to look up.
01G-P3-1373-AR that is the evga lifetime warranty one. EVGA just release the FTW 460's and by just i mean within the last like 2 or 3 days. Only downside is that they dont come with a lifetime warranty as of yet. Although i could see you taking a standard overclocked card and making close to the same speeds as the FTW edition anyhow. Just my thought.

notty22

Distinguished
One thing i am researching now is if you can SLI at gtx 260 with a gtx 460. I have read it is possible but it would be as good as 2 of the same cards

You definitely can NOT. SLI 'rules' are very strict. You can't even sli a gtx 460 768meg card with a gtx 460 1gb card. Its not the memory amounts , but the memory interface.
They are different bits, evidently the driver can't deal with this situation.

The GTX460's have 336 cores enabled, the 192/256 is the memory interface and the GTX has 480 (240 x2). You really need to do quite a lot more research before coming here and spreading fud.

TRENDING THREADS