One 256GB SSD or 2 X 120GB RAID0 SSD?

LionheartMG

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
I'm debating between buying a single SSD, 256GB or two 120 GB SSDs configured to RAID0. I can't afford 2x256, and I don't really need that much space anyway because I'll be using a large external hard drive as storage either way.

It's a matter of performance and reliability. This machine will be doing 3D renders and video encoding.

Any replies would be much appreciated, thank you. :D

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
You can Trim SSD's in RAID with the newer Intel RST Drivers. 11.5 or higher i believe. The latest is 11.8 afaik.

If you only need 120GB for OS and programs, RAID the mofo's. If you don't like it, then you could sell both and get a 256GB. Heck, after reading this, i might get another 120GB HyperX 3K for RAID!

I have tried it, and there is no performance benefit that a user can detect.
Discount the glowing synthetic benchmarks, a normal user never runs that way.

Trim can be passed on in raid, but only if you have a Z77 based motherboard.

Just buy the larger ssd.

Kyle M

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Some people on here just like to type to read their words I think. So the OP states "This machine will be doing 3D renders and video encoding." and 2 people respond(one with the Tom's storage badge) with statements like "I have tried it, and there is no performance benefit that a user can detect.
Discount the glowing synthetic benchmarks, a normal user never runs that way." and an even more basic "I don't think that you'll see any performance benefit from RAID with SSDs in your workloads.". In short these guys are soooo wrong in the advice they gave this guy. RAID 0 will pretty much only benefit the video encoding/3D rendering with some perks in a few other situations.

So Tom's hands out these badges that make unassuming average consumers THINK these guys know something and they haven't a clue about the instances this guy needed to know about. Glad I get my information from my own extensive testing or that of my friends and other trusted sources. Just because you google specs doesn't make your knowledge valid and is NO SUBSTITUTE for EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD!!!