Sign in with
Your question

First Build Ever (Multi-Functional) Help

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2010 4:58:40 PM

Hello everyone, I really need some help on a build im gonna make. And fast.
I saw here on Toms Hardware the Best Configs. And the one that attracted me was the dalauder's one. Though it doesn't have many votes on it. So I need some help.

Im gonna use my computer for: (Most Important to Least Important)
Video and Foto Editing
Gaming
HD Movies

P.S: I have some preferences, as like, Intel for the processor, 6GB RAM... And also, I want to keep the computer budget to 900-1100

So I really need some help with this... This is what I came up with: (based on dalauders build)

Processor: i7 930

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 USB 3.0

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Graphics Card: XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case: HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA ( I WANT A CHEAP ONE, GOOD COOLING, LOOKS REALLY DONT MATTER )

Power Supply: HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA

DVD Burner : HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA (I wanna be able to read cd's and to be able to burn movies onto them, if that helps...)

Its more expensive than what I pointed out before, but If someone could cut some money here and there and help me make this comp. fast, i would appreciate alot !

Thanks!

More about : build multi functional

October 30, 2010 5:22:30 PM

Hmmmm. I would personally go AMD hexacore for the 200$ savings from CPU/mobo that could be put on towards a better GPU/SSD.

AMD 1055t 95 watt edition (200$)
8GB ram 125$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case+PSU 90$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Mobo 90$
Hard drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 55$
Vidcard 140-300$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

Generic optical drive, windows 7, maybe an SSD.
October 30, 2010 5:35:46 PM

I really dont need 8 Gigs of RAM... And I really prefer Intel :/  And another point to say: please dont send me combos from newegg, cuse im not from US... anyways thanks for replying, but not what I like tho
Related resources
October 30, 2010 5:58:43 PM

Ok then if you dont wanta amd that sp12 has suggested (nice build). Then use the tomshardware form to ask for a new build, it tells us what country you from, what is the use of the pc for, price and all the info so that we can help.

So please don't waist our time by not telling us all the important info, and then sayin: " Ooohh sorry but this comment wasn't usefull...."
October 30, 2010 6:23:16 PM

dave0305 said:
Ok then if you dont wanta amd that sp12 has suggested (nice build). Then use the tomshardware form to ask for a new build, it tells us what country you from, what is the use of the pc for, price and all the info so that we can help.

So please don't waist our time by not telling us all the important info, and then sayin: " Ooohh sorry but this comment wasn't usefull...."

Really?

October 30, 2010 6:35:39 PM

There actually is a template you're supposed to follow, I think it's the first sticky. In addition to that, I like the following questions:

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. What resolution YOU plan on gaming with.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

That besides, unless your photo editing is limited to paint, 4gigs is not enough. More ram is also especially relevant with multitasking (and perhaps just as importantly, the 8GB kit retails for ~5$ more than the 6GB one).

Primary reason I suggest the 1055t is that in threaded photo/video editing apps it will be close (+/- 10%) to the i7-930, but at least 200$ cheaper, while in games your GPU is your limiting factor.
October 30, 2010 7:22:12 PM

dave0305 said:

Ok ok... sorry ! Im knew here. Ill point out the answers to those questions sp12 asked.
October 30, 2010 7:33:52 PM

sp12 said:
There actually is a template you're supposed to follow, I think it's the first sticky. In addition to that, I like the following questions:

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. What resolution YOU plan on gaming with.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

That besides, unless your photo editing is limited to paint, 4gigs is not enough. More ram is also especially relevant with multitasking (and perhaps just as importantly, the 8GB kit retails for ~5$ more than the 6GB one).

Primary reason I suggest the 1055t is that in threaded photo/video editing apps it will be close (+/- 10%) to the i7-930, but at least 200$ cheaper, while in games your GPU is your limiting factor.

2. 1000 euros.

3. Europe > Portugal.

4. Intel, ATI and WD.

5. No current parts at all.

6. Very Few.

7. Default Speeds.

8. I dont know, since I havnt bought a monitor yet. I was just focusing on the computer 1st and then worrying on the monitor. But since the computer has an influence on that, I would use high resolutions. But I cant say you the right number. I would Probably get a Samsung sync master 22 or 24 inches.

9. I'm planning on getting the parts on december or before. After I have the parts, a friend of mine will build the computer.

For photo editing, not limited to paint at all. So yeah, more than 4gigs of ram.

I hope those answers sorted you out. Thanks, and sorry if im unexperienced at this, really not my fault...
October 30, 2010 7:45:25 PM

I didn't see the sticky, my bad ! If you think I should remake the thread, propably, say so. Ill do it, no problem. If it helps you and me at the same time.
!