RAM speeds on new homebuilt computer.

I built the computer from a thread I made in the other subforums, and things have been going well. I do have a few questions though. I don't want to do any overclocking of the CPU, which is an i7-950@3.06Ghz, at all.

In the BIOS, it shows the CPU speed as around 3.2GHz? It appears that there is a bclk value of around 133MHz that is automatically being added without me touching anything. In Windows, however, the CPU is being recognized as 3.06.

The other question I have is about the RAM. The RAM I got is 1600MHz, 1.65V, 9-9-9-24. However, the Gigabyte x58-usb3 recognizes it at 1066MHz. I changed it 1600MHz and adjusted the timings accordingly,and the VDRAM shows up as 1.648 in the MIT screen. On this screen, the VCore shows up as 1.248V.

If I go into the advanced voltage menu, I have, CPU VCore = 1.275V, QPI/VTT = 1.175V. I read that VDRAM - QPI/VTT should be less than 0.5V. In my case, the difference is very close, at 0.47V.

This worried me a little, so I went back and changed the RAM speed to 1333MHz, and the VDRAM is now at 1.58V, which seems safer to me. Can anyone give me advice on whether I should keep the default 1066MHz and be the safest, keep it right now at 1333MHz, or revert it back to 1600MHz (in this case, are the values I listed appropriate)? I don't want to damage the new CPU in any way.

Thanks for any help.

My idle temps are running 29-30 across the board, if that is helpful information.
2 answers Last reply
More about speeds homebuilt computer
  1. I would run it at its rated speed and voltage 1600MHz and 1.65volts, it gives the best performance and does not endanger anything. Your idle temps are great.
  2. So you think it's safe then? Should I even worry about the more technical things?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt RAM CPUs Computer Systems