G1 Sniper 2

meskis1995

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello,

why Gigabyte Sniper 2 has only 8 phases, while Gigabyte Z68XP-UD7 has 24 phases? Is these 8 phases better than phases in UD7?

r1ahul

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Sniper 2 has an audio card and is made to look nice. It's not as good as Z68XP-UD7 for overclocking and isn't worth it in my opinion.

Both the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and G1.Sniper2 are IMO rip-off's to 99.99% of the Enthusiasts out there and the 'doodads' of the G1.Sniper2 help very very few.

I noticed your Corsair H100 post so my assumption is OC is your 'goal' and the best (2) Gigabyte MOBO's for the $-to-OC are Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 and GA-Z68XP-UD5. Regarding Phases - yep to a point, if effectively used, do aide in lowering the vCore which lowers the CPU temps to better achieve a stable and obtainable high CPU OC. The returns are very diminishing with 12 Phases and higher.

The 8 Phase Gigabyte G1.Sniper2 would concern me if >4.5GHz is your 'goal' OC.

I know Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3, GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and GA-Z68XP-UD5 ALL OC very well. I know the ASUS P8P67 PRO or P8Z68-V PRO (+ Deluxe versions), Maximus IV Extreme/z all OC very well.

The 8 Phase Gigabyte G1.Sniper2 with OC > 4.5GHz 'concerns' me that it's vCore might be higher than the ones that I listed. Keep in mind I am looking at averages and not the lowest or highest vCore -- a lot of that is luck of the SB CPU.

All the vCore to Phase studies that I've seen have a strong correlation to 12 and higher Phase MOBO's. If an engineer screwed-up than high or low the Phases won't over come the error.

Here's one of several similar vCore postings -> http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/916189-official-intel-p67-z68-motherboard-comparison.html I'd Google and look at 5GHz + Gigabyte G1.Sniper2 then compare the vCore's of at least 5~10 to the spreadsheet or other similar data.

Finally NONE of this matters if your OC is 4.5GHz or less...