Solved

Installing OS on a desktop... from a laptop.

Background: So I just built a new computer, and everything ran great! ( http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ )

Now you may notice... no optical drive! Good reason for this. I had one from an old PC, and just planned to use that. I didn't really think, and now I can't use it because of incompatibility issues. So I have a few options.

-Buy an external from a store nearby
-Wait 3 days for an optical drive to come in by mail
-Figure out some way to use my laptop to change it over!

If I can, I would like to avoid buying anything now (though I definitely will get one in the future!), and for now I just want to get this damn thing running!

MY QUESTION: Can I use the optical drive on my laptop to install an OS onto my new desktop? I don't have a USB or External HDD to transfer it, and I'd rather not buy anything right now. I want a way to connect my laptop to my desktop, and install an OS straight from that.

Thank you for your help!

P.S. Really wasn't sure which forum to put this in...
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installing desktop laptop
  1. Best answer
    I'm coming up blank for using the laptop to install windows on the desktop. If you had a usb flash drive it'd be easy...

All I can say is if you're in a rush, Walmart sells drives at reasonable prices and also takes them back <grin> Enjoy!
  2. there are few p[lace you can download the windows 7 and 8 iso image. if you have new windows dvd cd for the new hardware then you can use the microsoft iso to usb software to make a bootable usb stick installer. you need a vaild oem number to install windows on your new rig.
  3. Best answer selected by CanisNoctis.
  4. popatim said:
    I'm coming up blank for using the laptop to install windows on the desktop. If you had a usb flash drive it'd be easy...

All I can say is if you're in a rush, Walmart sells drives at reasonable prices and also takes them back <grin> Enjoy!

That's what I ended up doing lol. Amazing really. 4 years ago, my 2 GB USB was $30. Now a 16 GB USB was only $10.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Laptops Desktops Optical Media Storage