DVD Drive Causing BSOD

bgoss4

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi all,

I put together my new PC a couple of weeks ago, and for the most part it's been running smoothly. However, a couple of days ago I started getting messages from the Intel Manager thing (can't remember exact name) about the device in SATA port 1 being disconnected, then a few seconds later it would say it reconnected. The DVD drive is the port 1 device, and after a few minutes of this disconnecting and reconnecting I would get a BSOD. I have since unplugged the drive from the MOBO and had no shutdowns since. Basically I'm trying to determing whether I have a faulty drive, or faulty MOBO. Preferably it's the former.

Relevant Specs:

ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4 MOBO
Super Write Master DVD reader/writer (this drive is quite old, and was taken from a previous PC)

Any thoughts would be great.

Iamrock10

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hey, i have also been having a problem similar to yours, i don't know if you have fixed it yet but i am in the process of doing so. i built my PC about 4 months ago and occasionally my computer would BSOD. I never put it in a friends PC cause it happened too infrequently but enough to get annoying. So i tried many different things and i finally realized that it might be my disk drive which a took from an older computer and was sharing the same SATA power cable as my disk drive. So i unplugged my disk drive all together and now i'm testing to see if it makes a difference. Ya and i'm also really just hoping that its my HDD or my disk drive.

Daniel Jones

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

You have solved my BSOD problem it was my old spare DVD drive, plugged into one of my 6 SATA ports 4 ports were in ACHI mode and 2 in IDE mode, when de-dusting my system I had accidently plugged the drive back into one of the ACHI ports. I didn't need the drive anyway so I've just unplugged it. Thank you.