Sign in with
Your question

Is this a somewhat good gaming pc?

Last response: in Components
January 24, 2011 8:07:17 PM

So I just built my first gaming rig! I would like to know if what I have is any good. I have a Biostar TA790GXBE Socket AM3. AMD Athlon ll x4 635 @ 3.7ghz. Thermaltake SpinQ cooler. 4gb of DDR2 in dual channel mode. 600gb WD HDD's(x2 320 gb in raid 1). Samsung Blu-Ray drive. Rocketfish 500w psu and XFX HD 5770 1 gig card. I am currently saving for the Biostar TA870+ mobo with two PCIe slots and an XFX 650w psu and a second xfx 5770

More about : good gaming

January 24, 2011 10:38:42 PM

^ It's an AM2+ socket board, hence the DDR2.

That's a solid overclock on that Athlon II. Well done. It's not a bad system at all presently, provided you're not trying to run all your games at max settings on a 1920x1080 or higher resolution display. And of course, the monitor's resolution is a factor in this equation which you've omitted, so I suggest clearing that up.

As for your upgrade path, the time at which you intend to do so is another major factor. Also, AM2+ boards are pretty much a thing of the past. Even your intended board is AM3, so you'd have to buy new DDR3 RAM as well. Of course, a switch to a different board with different RAM means your CPU OC results may change.

If you're serious about CrossFiring your 5770, then you should be aware that CrossFire support can vary, and it's benefits really depend on each individual game. Sometimes it yields a substantial gain, and sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately, without factoring in your monitor resolution and which games you play or intend to play, it's tough to tell how much benefit you could see from CrossFire, if any at all. Also, a board capable of x8/x8 CrossFire might be a better choice, such as this ASRock Extreme3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which costs the same as the Biostar TA870+. x8/x4 doesn't lose that much graphics power versus x8/x8, but there is some measurable loss.
Related resources
January 25, 2011 3:28:41 AM

RazberyBandit said:
^ It's an AM2+ socket board, hence the DDR2.

That's a solid overclock on that Athlon II. Well done. It's not a bad system at all presently, provided you're not trying to run all your games at max settings on a 1920x1080 or higher resolution display. And of course, the monitor's resolution is a factor in this equation which you've omitted, so I suggest clearing that up.

As for your upgrade path, the time at which you intend to do so is another major factor. Also, AM2+ boards are pretty much a thing of the past. Even your intended board is AM3, so you'd have to buy new DDR3 RAM as well. Of course, a switch to a different board with different RAM means your CPU OC results may change.

If you're serious about CrossFiring your 5770, then you should be aware that CrossFire support can vary, and it's benefits really depend on each individual game. Sometimes it yields a substantial gain, and sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately, without factoring in your monitor resolution and which games you play or intend to play, it's tough to tell how much benefit you could see from CrossFire, if any at all. Also, a board capable of x8/x8 CrossFire might be a better choice, such as this ASRock Extreme3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which costs the same as the Biostar TA870+. x8/x4 doesn't lose that much graphics power versus x8/x8, but there is some measurable loss.

Yes my screen is an Acer 22 inch at 1920x1080. And as for games I can and do run them all maxed out. Even Crysis tho older runs at a silky 25-35 fps. I believe this is due in part that my 5770 is OC to 900/1400 from the stock 850/1200 clocks. And as for the socket, AM2+ and AM3 have no difference in layout except for where the screws go. As for the RAM I already have 4gb of Patriot DDR3 1600 just purchased today. As for Crossfire, which mobo would you recommend? I only have a total budget of $469.92 for upgrades including the aformentioned RAM. And as far as games go, I play Black Ops, MW2, CoD WaW, Borderlands, MoH 2010, Company of Heroes, New NFS Hot Pursuit,BFBC2 and GTA4 all maxed out at 1920x1080.
January 25, 2011 3:34:34 AM

Also I just looked at my mobo and next to the socket it says AM2+, AM3?
a b 4 Gaming
January 25, 2011 3:41:18 AM

No, AM3 has the needed support for DDR3. When an AM3 CPU is placed in an AM2/Am2+ socket it will use DDR2 instead since it has both a DDR2 and a DDR3 memory controller. An AM2/AM2+ CPU will not work on an AM3 board because 1) it won't fit, and 2) it does not have the needed DDR3 memory controller.
January 25, 2011 4:00:42 AM

megamanx00 said:
No, AM3 has the needed support for DDR3. When an AM3 CPU is placed in an AM2/Am2+ socket it will use DDR2 instead since it has both a DDR2 and a DDR3 memory controller. An AM2/AM2+ CPU will not work on an AM3 board because 1) it won't fit, and 2) it does not have the needed DDR3 memory controller.

Ah good information to know thanks alot.
January 25, 2011 4:03:50 AM

beanoslim said:
Socket AM3 with DDR2? Why RAID1 and not RAID0? Upgrade the PSU before the card.

Looks good, looks like it'll get better, personally I'd look out for an open box 890GX/FX board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ah that board would be AWESOME! also I'm just messing around with RAID modes to see what one I like better lol.
January 25, 2011 4:12:06 AM

Not exactly, megamanx00. Technically speaking, memory support is determined by the CPU because the memory controller is integrated into the CPU itself.

AM2, AM2+, and AM3 CPUs will all technically fit in each of the three sockets. The key is, AM3 CPUs have both a DDR2 and a DDR3 controller inside them, while AM2 and AM2+ CPUs only have DDR2 controllers. Since AM3 CPUs have both, they can function within AM2/AM2+ boards (these will only have DDR2 slots). The fact that DDR2 isn't used on any AM3-socketed motherboard is why AM2 and AM2+ CPUs won't work in AM3 boards.
January 25, 2011 4:20:15 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Not exactly, megamanx00. Technically speaking, memory support is determined by the CPU because the memory controller is integrated into the CPU itself.

AM2, AM2+, and AM3 CPUs will all technically fit in each of the three sockets. The key is, AM3 CPUs have both a DDR2 and a DDR3 controller inside them, while AM2 and AM2+ CPUs only have DDR2 controllers. Since AM3 CPUs have both, they can function within AM2/AM2+ boards (these will only have DDR2 slots). The fact that DDR2 isn't used on any AM3-socketed motherboard is why AM2 and AM2+ CPUs won't work in AM3 boards.

Will I need to upgrade my CPU then? also I found this mobo. Any good?http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... Also Is it possible to push my Athlon to 4.0ghz?
January 25, 2011 4:35:35 AM

You won't need to change your CPU if you were to swap to an AM3-socket motherboard - it's an AM3 CPU. What I was saying previously was that the board you said you intended to upgrade to (Biostar TA870+) is a socket-AM3 board, which does not use DDR2 memory, which is what you have now. So, you'd need to buy DDR3 memory for it.

January 25, 2011 9:09:22 AM

AM2+ mobo = AM2/AM2+/AM3 CPUS with DDR2 memory.

AM3 mobo = AM3 CPU with DDR3 memory.

As explained the AM3 CPU's have a DDR2 and DDR3 mem controller whereas the AM2/AM2+ only support DDR2.

RAID0 is best performance.

Like I said before I'd look out for an open box 890GX/890FX board. :) 
January 25, 2011 9:45:17 AM

I've had bad luck with 2-out-of-3 open-box items I've gotten from Newegg... I don't think I'll ever go that route again. Having to RMA an item to a manufacturer (pay for shipping) instead of returning it to Newegg for exchange (and for free) sucks. Not to mention you never know what parts might be missing, or what cosmetic damage it may have suffered. Sometimes, the cost difference is minimal, making it not worth the risk. (I've actually seen Newegg have the retail version of items for sale at an equal or lower price than the open-box version... LOL)
January 25, 2011 2:19:19 PM

Not bad, but to play modern games at 1920x1080, you have to compromise on gfx quality or AA
!