Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3 hard drives... Which one is failing?

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2013 1:44:21 AM

My desktop has 3 drives. 2 are in a RAID 0 configuration the 3rd (C:/) is stand alone. One of the drives makes a HMMM sound (like an old man clearing his throat) every 10 seconds or so. I assume that this is an indication of some imminent disk failure.

Any suggestions as to how to determine which HD is at risk so I can replace it before it dies.

Thanks

k

More about : hard drives failing

a b G Storage
February 9, 2013 1:48:27 AM

unplug the 3 one and restart if you still have the sound there is one of your raid ,drive maker got a software tool that you could use to test the drive without knowing the name and model of the drive could not link you to those tools .
m
l
February 10, 2013 3:47:10 AM

I figured it out!! O opened the case to try your solution and realized the vibration was coming from the CPU cooling Fan. Now to see it I can get a replacement or something. I am sure the fan is providing adequate cooling but the noise is driving me crazy... not a long drive in any event.

Any thoughts (about the fan) would be appreciated.

hip
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 11, 2013 12:47:31 AM

you could try to find a fan with the same specs or do yourself a favor get a after market cooler for your cpu like the 212 evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 18, 2013 1:04:43 AM

Best answer selected by hip2b2.
m
l
!