Your vote pls - Canon A95 or Oly C-5060 ... before I take ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 11, 2005 2:17:32 PM

Had a budget of around $350, which I could stretch slightly in order to get
all of (or as much of) the following ;

o Hot Shoe or PC Sync
o Uncompressed format
o Add-on lenses/filters
o Manual White Balance
o A/S Priority & Manual Modes
o Shutter speeds of at least 1/1000 & 15 sec's or slower
o Good low ISO (50 or so)
o No (ok, min) Purple Fringing, Barrel Distortion, Red-eye etc.

I know the A95 does not have an option for external flash, and neither
does it allow uncompressed format, and the good this it that it does have
a swivel-out LCD screen.

Knowing that, is it wiser to shell out an extra $150 and go for the
C-5060, or is it better to pocket the $150 (and use it for A95
accessories) and go for the A95.

I'd also like to do IR with the camera I do decide to buy.

Thanks
January 11, 2005 2:17:33 PM

Option C: Look at the 7070.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:46:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion...but I know "right-off-the-bat" that it's gonna
be too expensive for me (7 MP and too new on the market)
January 12, 2005 3:24:01 AM

"photoguy" <cyrilrose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Had a budget of around $350, which I could stretch slightly in order to
get
> all of (or as much of) the following ;
>
> o Hot Shoe or PC Sync
> o Uncompressed format
> o Add-on lenses/filters
> o Manual White Balance
> o A/S Priority & Manual Modes
> o Shutter speeds of at least 1/1000 & 15 sec's or slower
> o Good low ISO (50 or so)
> o No (ok, min) Purple Fringing, Barrel Distortion, Red-eye etc.
>
> I know the A95 does not have an option for external flash, and neither
> does it allow uncompressed format, and the good this it that it does have
> a swivel-out LCD screen.
>
> Knowing that, is it wiser to shell out an extra $150 and go for the
> C-5060, or is it better to pocket the $150 (and use it for A95
> accessories) and go for the A95.
>
> I'd also like to do IR with the camera I do decide to buy.
>
> Thanks

I have both a OLY 5060 and a Canon s401 (not quite the same as an A95 but
close enough) Both cameras are great, but it depends on what your using them
for. The OLY takes super pictures (particularly in the RAW mode), the 27mm
lens is invaluable, the auto-panorama features works very well, the ability
to turn the noise reduction on or off is very helpful in night shots. Being
able to use two types of memory has come in handy, finally I like the super
size battery, the Only con I can see is there are so many optional settings
that there is a long learning curve.

My Canon (S-401) takes very good pictures and is so portable it is always
there when you need it. If you are going to travel and travel light get the
Canon. However if you want great images get a tripod. The compact cameras
have so little mass that they are more prone to vibration.

As for me if I were only going to have one camera it would have to be the
OLY. The OLY seems a little bulky but when I think of what I carried around
when I was shooting 35mm it is pretty compact.

Oh yes about picture quality, over the years I shot a lot of 35mm slide and
negs, did my own color printing and mounting. I now have a good quality
Canon Slide/Negative scanner that I am slowly digitizing my slides end
negatives with, funny thing most of the slides I scan in that looked so)
god aren't significantly better than the images I get form the OLY.
January 12, 2005 12:31:46 PM

I'm a relatively happy C-5060 owner also; my father owns a A80 (not
really as good as the A95, but the same ergonomics and controls, same
size sensor). The C-5060 takes much better pics - sharper, better
resolution, better color. However, the tradeoff is a bigger, heavier
camera, with much more complex controls. Low light is always a problem
with these types of cameras - poor autofocus, noise, etc. is similar on
both. But, I put a Promaster external flash on my C-5060 and it makes a
world of difference. Does the A95 have a hotshoe? That'd be the kicker
for me, actually - it's such a huge upgrade to the low-light picture
quality. Also, the C-5060's going to be going for fire-sale prices
soon, because of the release of the C-7070 to replace it.
Good Luck!
ECM
January 12, 2005 1:07:34 PM

I should say, the A80 is a faster camera in general than the C-5060;
"on" time, shutter lag, and autofocus lag are noticably shorter. I
actually liked the "snapshot-ability" of the A80, but moved on to the
C-5060 for better image quality. I would assume the A95, with the same
5.2 Mpixel sensor as the C-5060, will be an improvement over the A80; I
think the optics are not much improved from the A80's, though. You can
compare sample images side-by-side at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

ECM
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:47:52 PM

Don...thanks for your post...very helpful one indeed.

It looks like I may wanna just spend the extra 100 bucks or so and go for
the C-5060 after all.

I notice that the Canon S410 (or is it 401 like you say ?) does not have
manual focus and A/S priority modes, and therefore it wouldn't be on my
short list for sure. The A95 does have those two options, but does not
have a hotshoe, uncompressed format and neither does it come with
batteries and/or a charger.

I have no problems with the steep learning curve for the Oly since I also
do 35mm with a Nikon F90X and F801-S (SB-25 and SB-28 flashes). I guess
you have some pretty good film-based SLR's as well ? I also have a
Manfrotto tripod, and if that's overkill for smaller/lighter digital
cameras, then I can use one of the many others (or a monopod) that I have
lying around.

If you had to chose between one of the two memory types (used by the Oly),
which one would you go for, and why ? I don't know the differences (or
advantages/disadvantages) between the two since I've only dealt with
Sony's Memory Stick thus far.

I was also thinking about staying with film/slides (and just scanning them
with a good scanner), but now that you've mentioned that the Oly's
pictures are just about as good as the scanned ones, then maybe that's
reason enough for me to convert seriously to digital.

Thanks again.
January 12, 2005 5:18:40 PM

Ditto here, though I must say that mine did break down after about six
weeks -- something went haywire during the process of removing a CF card
-- whole system froze and they had to replace some chips.

The strengths of this camera include it tanklike sturdiness (easy to
hold steady), stunning photos, great battery life, and a neat swiveling
viewfinder. A wide angle and tele converver and you're covered from
about 19mm out (get screw-in adapters and avoid the Oly cost and bayonet
mount). The lens is a little slow (a full stop slower than my 2020z) but
I've run into no problems so far. I also like having slots for two
cards. I can use one card for critical backups (and keep it in my hotel
when wandering around some place where I might encounter sticky fingers)
or, as happened recently, transfer files to one for getting to my
computer when a card readers died in the middle of a trip.
Incidentally, I've had very few noise problems and I use external
flashes in large rooms.

There are times when I think all the buttons and menus are complex by a
half, and the on-off switch is terribly placed, but this is one heck of
a camera.

Good luck with whatever you do.

ECM wrote:
> I'm a relatively happy C-5060 owner also; my father owns a A80 (not
> really as good as the A95, but the same ergonomics and controls, same
> size sensor). The C-5060 takes much better pics - sharper, better
> resolution, better color. However, the tradeoff is a bigger, heavier
> camera, with much more complex controls. Low light is always a problem
> with these types of cameras - poor autofocus, noise, etc. is similar on
> both. But, I put a Promaster external flash on my C-5060 and it makes a
> world of difference. Does the A95 have a hotshoe? That'd be the kicker
> for me, actually - it's such a huge upgrade to the low-light picture
> quality. Also, the C-5060's going to be going for fire-sale prices
> soon, because of the release of the C-7070 to replace it.
> Good Luck!
> ECM

January 12, 2005 7:08:55 PM

You're hearing from the few who had problems, not the thousands who're
out taking pics. Lets face it, you'll curse any of these companies if
you're waiting for your camera to get back. The "mode dial" problem on
the C-5060 has continued to be reported recently, check out
http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/c5060-dial.html . I think that 13%
of users having trouble is a gross overstatement, though - happy users
are not hanging out on Yahoo just waiting to share their wonderful
experiences. FWIW, I bought my C-5060 in July of 2004, almost 10 months
after it had been released, and I've had no difficulty at all with
mine; many users on dpreview have not been complaining. A prudent
precaution is to buy an extended warranty with your camera - I got mine
for $40 online.

The LCD on the C-5060 is quite nice; it does lift up 180 degrees to
face forward, for a self-portrait (or to amaze and entertain young ones
- it gets the best smiles I've ever seen!).

ECM
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 7:31:41 PM

Yeah, when using these cameras...I miss the autofocus on my Nikon F90X and
F801s.

No, the A95 does not have a hotshoe either.

I guess I should just wait for a bit then, and get the C-5060 when the
price starts to fall.

Thanks !
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 7:40:47 PM

I've been reading "owner opinions" for the Oly C-5060 and a lot of folks
are saying that theirs broke down in just a couple of weeks (or months)
and it took forever for Olympus to fix it (no replacement, mind you). They
all curse Olypmus' customer service and advise never to buy their
cameras.

Hmmmmm, so this puts me "between the devil and the deep blue
sea".....because I've also read a lot about Canon's infamous "E18"
error...and the way Canon deals with that (not much different from Oly,
btw)....birds of a feather, I guess.

Is the Oly's swivel viewfinder as good as the A95's i.e. can it turn all
the way front such that it would be easy to click a self-portrait ?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:09:20 PM

Yeah, I guess you’re right there (with your first statement, and the second
one as well).

Also, thanks for your recommendation on purchasing an extended warranty
(or service plan)…I was about to post today to find out whether it’s
really worth it or not.

The other thing is…..I’m running right now to the store to pick up the
C-5060 (since it’s on sale for C$150 less till Feb 2nd, after which it
will go back up to C$800.) The salesman too convinced me that there is no
comparison between it and the Canon A95 (I would have to compare it to the
Canon G5 – discontinued - or thereabouts).

Any ideas about the C-5060’s weird thread size (and using standard adapter
rings or filter sizes i.e. 52, 62 etc.) ? I ask that because I have a
bunch of 62mm filters (purchased for my Nikon 35-135 mm lens) and I would
like to share then between the digital and film cameras/lenses. I’d also
like to buy a R72 IR filter (of thread size 62mm) and use that for both
film and digital. That is easy/possible with the Canon A95 by just adding
one or two $10 adapter rings.

Good to know about the twist/swivel-ability LCD screen on the Oly.

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:51:58 PM

photoguy <cyrilrose@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Good to know about the twist/swivel-ability LCD screen on the Oly.

I didn't know that it twists and swivels--I thought it just flipped up.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
January 14, 2005 9:18:03 AM

Well, then go with the 5060.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:54:32 AM

Yeah, after it flips up...it just swivels...to face forward i/e backward.
Just checked it out y'day....Cool stuff
January 14, 2005 10:15:14 AM

Since you can use both - I do. I've had kind of spotty xD performance,
so I have a 512 or 256MB CF card as my primary and a 128MB xD as a
backup.

Only the Oly xD's will work with their panoramic system - the framing
guide in the camera and Oly Camedia software's pano tool. But I've
gotten good (and less limiting) results using whatever brand card I
want and PanaVue software.

Hope this helps,

Dave
January 14, 2005 11:58:13 AM

As for Oly service, my camera was back within two weeks. My dealer says
that's tops for the industry. Sez Canon is not good, and Fuji nearly
hopeless. My main problem with Oly was that they did not log my camera
in for almost a week after it arrived so we could not get status updates
for much of the time. And, folks on phone not terribly helpful. But all
in all a two week turnaround is very good.

photoguy wrote:

> Had a budget of around $350, which I could stretch slightly in order to get
> all of (or as much of) the following ;
>
> o Hot Shoe or PC Sync
> o Uncompressed format
> o Add-on lenses/filters
> o Manual White Balance
> o A/S Priority & Manual Modes
> o Shutter speeds of at least 1/1000 & 15 sec's or slower
> o Good low ISO (50 or so)
> o No (ok, min) Purple Fringing, Barrel Distortion, Red-eye etc.
>
> I know the A95 does not have an option for external flash, and neither
> does it allow uncompressed format, and the good this it that it does have
> a swivel-out LCD screen.
>
> Knowing that, is it wiser to shell out an extra $150 and go for the
> C-5060, or is it better to pocket the $150 (and use it for A95
> accessories) and go for the A95.
>
> I'd also like to do IR with the camera I do decide to buy.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:18:43 PM

Yeah, that's not a bad waiting period...but in any case I think I'll also
buy the extended warranty.
January 14, 2005 12:23:07 PM

Yep, if you're not using the Oly card you have to lock both exposure
and focus for the best results.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:03:10 PM

Absolutely, no questions about that !

I've made up my mind (thanks to you guys here) and I'm rushing to the
store (still :-)) to get hold of it while it's on sale.

One more question before I go : re. Compact Flash and xD - which is better
for me to buy (to begin with at least) and how much is the minimum that I
should start with ? I've heard that CF is the better choice (and used in
most all Pro DSLR's), however I may not be able to get any panoramic pic's
unless I guy an Oly xD card, right ?

Thanks
January 14, 2005 1:22:55 PM

You know, I hadn't noticed, but yes it is.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:45:47 PM

Thanks Dave...that helps greatly.

How (or from where) did you get the panaVue software ?
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:16:38 PM

Oooh, I see it's a Canadian company 'eh ?
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:43:07 PM

photoguy <cyrilrose@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Good to know about the twist/swivel-ability LCD screen on the Oly.
>
>> I didn't know that it twists and swivels--I thought it just flipped
up.

> Yeah, after it flips up...it just swivels...to face forward i/e backward.
> Just checked it out y'day....Cool stuff

Uh.... That's just a flip upward, not a twist-and-swivel.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:06:56 PM

On 14 Jan 2005 07:15:14 -0800, "Dave" <webkatz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Since you can use both - I do. I've had kind of spotty xD performance,
>so I have a 512 or 256MB CF card as my primary and a 128MB xD as a
>backup.
>
>Only the Oly xD's will work with their panoramic system - the framing
>guide in the camera and Oly Camedia software's pano tool. But I've
>gotten good (and less limiting) results using whatever brand card I
>want and PanaVue software.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Dave

Using Olympus cards for Panoramic also locks the exposure...which
makes for a much nicer Pan shot IMHO

--
Scott in Florida
!