Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is 840 too little?

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2010 9:11:07 PM

Hello, I want to order this rig online. It is only 840 USD including tax and shipping. The specs seem okay to me but I would like some other opinions. Am I getting a watered down pc, or is this rig okay for gaming. I am not asking for alternative products, I just want to know if I will be able to play games. NOTE: I will only be playing RPG's and RTS's like Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and The Old Republic. I do not need the power for FPS like Call of Duty or Crysis. Am I dreaming with this 840 USD rig or can it handle what I need?

# CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 945 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

# FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

# HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-18] (Single Hard Drive)

# MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

# MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4A77T/USB3 AMD 770 Chipset Hardware Core Unlocker DDR3 Socket AM3 ATX w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-II, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI

# OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

# POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

# SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

# VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+48] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

More about : 840

October 30, 2010 9:53:25 PM

Quote:
# FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
Don't get LC unless you know how to use it, and service it (aka clean it once a year)

Quote:
# HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-18] (Single Hard Drive)
lil' larger HDD might be a good idea.

Quote:
# MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
If you have a larger budget get 4 gigs more RAM.

Quote:
# POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Maybe a little Larger PSU, I dunno if you are going to OC or upgrade, just a thought.

Quote:
# SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
Get a good headset instead of speakers (unless you REALLY want 'em, if you are just gamin' by yourself, you can turn it up as loud as yuou want with a headset.)

Quote:
# VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+48] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
Maybe a few bucks spent on a better GPU....

No doubt it WOULD handle the games, but maybe low FPS.... so get a better gpu, but that is the only thing you really NEED, the rest are suggestions.

Also, who are you buyin' this from? you might be able keep some cash in your wallet by building yourself (if you don't have the time/don't want to I understand, the computer I had before this one(edit:I mean the one I own) I had to have built 'cause I was travelling like everyday...)
October 30, 2010 11:53:21 PM

i'm looking to buy from Cyberpower, and building it myself is not an option. Upgrading my video card from Radeon 5770 to 5850 will add another 200 USD, which I cannot afford at all. I'm looking to spend about 900 USD, but I would like the option to customize the components that go into my rig. If anyone can offer a good website where I could do this for the money I have, please let me know.
Related resources
October 31, 2010 2:54:55 AM

dump the liquid cooling

The 945 is ok, but you could save a bit going to the Athlon II x3 450 or x4 640, and use the savings from dropping the liquid cooling (if you aren't overclocking, stock air cooling is fine -- that's what its for.)

Use the saved money to get a GTX 460 1GB or a 6850 1 GB. (should be about $50-60 more than the 5770). Both can handle anything at 1920x1080.

I'm gonna fiddle with all 3 sites atotalnoob suggested since you don't feel up to building your own system and see what I can customize for you.
October 31, 2010 3:00:41 AM

Get the 650W corsair unit they offer, their house PSU brand is total crap and i wouldnt trust it to power my system for very long.

Other than that it looks reasonable, stick with the 4GB of ram, dont get 8GB like atotalnoob suggested, it wont improve performance at all.

On a side note, why is building it yourself not an option? We have several guides here to walk you through it and it really isnt that hard as long as you can read words and look at pictures, there isnt much thinking involved.
October 31, 2010 3:20:45 AM

Quote:
Get the 650W corsair unit they offer, their house PSU brand is total crap and i wouldnt trust it to power my system for very long.
Actually they are very good PSUs, I buy from all three of the companies for work (my bose won't let me build them), and the PSUs usually have LEDs(not saying it WILL, just all of mine have) and are pretty nice.... Plus 650 watt is a little small for Upgrades....

Quote:
Other than that it looks reasonable, stick with the 4GB of ram, dont get 8GB like atotalnoob suggested, it wont improve performance at all.
It was a suggestion, re-read the post at the bottom.

Quote:
On a side note, why is building it yourself not an option
he said he didn't want to, he may not want to tell us.
Quote:
We have several guides here to walk you through it and it really isnt that hard as long as you can read words and look at pictures, there isnt much thinking involved.
ouch, that sounded mean, but I know you didn't mean it.

Edited for mistake in BBC, I shouldn't type it myself.
October 31, 2010 3:35:23 AM

Atotalnoob said:
. . . and the PSUs usually have LEDs(not saying it WILL, just all of mine have) and are pretty nice....
We seek inner beauty in a psu :) 

Anyhow, if you're on a budget and gaming at 1920, you really really want a 460 or 6850. And a Corsair psu min 650W.

And so the speakers need to go, as does the liquid cooling. If you're not OCing, you don't need more than the stock cooler anyhow.

If those changes don't make it fit in your budget, you really should consider building it yourself.

October 31, 2010 3:48:04 AM

Atotalnoob said:
Quote:
Actually they are very good PSUs, I buy from all three of the companies for work (my bose won't let me build them), and the PSUs usually have LEDs(not saying it WILL, just all of mine have) and are pretty nice.... Plus 650 watt is a little small for Upgrades....

LEDs dont mean a thing, and a corsair 650TX is plenty to run 2 5770s if he wants to, its just that a crappy unit like the Xtremegear one they try to give you will die horribly because its only a 450W unit marked as a 600W unit, look at the specs given on it.
http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.aspx?id=3587&catid=142

Quote:
It was a suggestion, re-read the post at the bottom.

Quote:
On a side note, why is building it yourself not an option
he said he didn't want to, he may not want to tell us.
Quote:
We have several guides here to walk you through it and it really isnt that hard as long as you can read words and look at pictures, there isnt much thinking involved.
ouch, that sounded mean, but I know you didn't mean it.

I just meant that it was easy, it seems really scary and daunting at first but it really isnt once you get started

Edited for mistake in BBC, I shouldn't type it myself.

October 31, 2010 4:04:17 AM

2208513,8,309846 said:
Quote:
We seek inner beauty in a psu :) 
definitly.

Quote:
Anyhow, if you're on a budget and gaming at 1920, you really really want a 460 or 6850. And a Corsair psu min 650W.
Check out the Cyberpower build I posted above.

Quote:
And so the speakers need to go
they are like 6 bucks....
Quote:
as does the liquid cooling. If you're not OCing, you don't need more than the stock cooler anyhow.
+1
October 31, 2010 4:15:25 AM

This is $896 from ibuypower. if you drop to an Athlon II X4 640 instead, its $851

AMD Phenom II AM3 DDR3 Configurator
Case ( NZXT Gamma Gaming Case - Black )
Case Lighting ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
Processor ( [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand ** FREE Upgrade to Corsair XMS3 Dominator ** )
Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 6850 - 1GB - Single Card )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Free Stuff ( [Free Game Download] - Blacklight: Tango Down - Free with Purchase of ATI Radeon HD Video Card )
Free Stuff ( [Gaming Gear] - ASUS USB Gamepad - Free with Purchase of ASUS Motherboard & AMD CPU )
Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770 )
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )
Power Supply ( 650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX )
Primary Hard Drive ( 640 GB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
2nd Optical Drive ( None )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )
Meter Display ( None )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Business + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 32-Bit )
Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )
Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse - Black )
Monitor ( None )
2nd Monitor ( None )
Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Headset ( None )
Video Camera ( None )
Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )
October 31, 2010 4:18:44 AM

Atotalnoob said:
Quote:
And so the speakers need to go
they are like 6 bucks....
The OP's speakers weren't 6 bucks.

Best solution

October 31, 2010 4:32:26 AM

and a cyberpower build for $885, this used a slightly cheaper Thermaltake PSU, still 80+ cert

BLUETOOTH: None
BUNDLE: None
CAS: Xion AXP 600 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-14]
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+50]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
FA_HDD: None
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK [-20]
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FLOPPY: None
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Game: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE 4GB MP3 Audio Player
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Blacklight: Tango Down Coupon with purchase of ATI Radeon HD5670 video card or above
FREEGAME_VC02: FREE Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
GLASSES: None
HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
LANSURGE: None
MB_ADDON: None
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-880GM-USB3 AMD 880G Chipset Support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 mATX Mainboard w/ Built-in ATI HD4200 Video, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-II, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: * 650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M [+83]
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Free Microsoft® Office® 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+138] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

_PRICE: (+885)
October 31, 2010 10:28:46 AM

in that case, if you use the corsair, its $896 for both builds
October 31, 2010 3:24:40 PM

Thank you very much guys, I will take everything you said into strong consideration.
October 31, 2010 4:31:15 PM

Twoboxer said:
The OP's speakers weren't 6 bucks.

Go look.
October 31, 2010 5:33:40 PM

Son if a . . . . A 2.1 speaker set for $6!

My apologies for the assumption.
October 31, 2010 5:48:58 PM

Twoboxer said:
Son if a . . . . A 2.1 speaker set for $6!

My apologies for the assumption.

XD I don't blame you for thinking I wasn't telling the truth.....
October 31, 2010 5:56:53 PM

Aye, just couldn't believe it - so much so I refused to check it.

In any case, I think I'd still save the $6 :) 
October 31, 2010 8:26:58 PM

agreed....
November 7, 2010 2:01:49 PM

Best answer selected by ThirdShortround.
!