lancerzero9

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I am looking into getting a UPS and I am worried about noise when its at idle not powering anything. Its going into my bedroom and I have very sensitive hearing.

I don't care about when its in back up mode when the power dies as I expect it to make noise then.

I have it down to a CyberPower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070 and a similar APC unit. I know the Cyberpower UPS have a fan that turns on when your power dies, but is it on all the time at a lesser speed when you still have power? Is it the same for a APC UPS or do they not have fans at all?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
The APC UPSes that I have owned have never made noises unless something is wrong. You might hear the occasional click as the UPS switches from wall power to internal power and back during a brownout, for example. During normal operation, they don't make noise.
The APC UPSes that I have owned have never made noises unless something is wrong. You might hear the occasional click as the UPS switches from wall power to internal power and back during a brownout, for example. During normal operation, they don't make noise.

Solution