kdawg12357

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hello there,

I recently built a computer on www.ibuypower.com and wanted to make sure with the community that it would work properly, and not break down on me.

Intel X58 Core i7 Configurator
Case ( PSI CyborgX Gaming Case - Yellow )
Case Lighting ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )
Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards) )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Free Stuff ( [Free Game Download] - Blacklight: Tango Down - Free with Purchase of ATI Radeon HD Video Card )
Motherboard ( [SLI] MSI X58 PRO-E )
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )
Power Supply ( 800 Watt -- Standard )
Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

There is just a list of main components it comes with. I just wanted to check on a few things.
First off, I'm using the 700w PSU for my GPU's, that was the minimum on the website. Would that work fine? Also it is just the aftermarket PSU as it was the cheapest :p that doesn't cause any problems does it?

Will the MOBO have 3 PCI slots for the Internal USB 3.0s and the 2 GPUs?

If I buy the computer without an OS, just a formatted HDD, if I install Windows 7 when I get it will I have to configure crossfire myself?

If you see any complications feel free to say anything I haven't mentioned yet, thank you! :D

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
You have to be careful with liquid cooling in the sense that you need to know how to maintain it and clean it out everyonce in a while. As for the graphics cards, it's is always recommended to start with a single powerful card so you can add a second one down the road. Starting off with 2 lower end cards will only cost ou more to upgrade later on down the road because you will need to buy a new card, as well as toss the old ones.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Well for starters, your configuration is not a new build, it is a pre-built. We always try to talk people into building their own here.

$1,100 seems like a decent price. There could be some crap in there. The PSU is suspect off the bat - need a brand with a good reputation. Memory is slow, but latency and voltage are OK. Mere mention of liquid cooling is no guarantee that the system will be sufficient to draw the heat down on that big 130 watt chip. In fact, with a price so low, I would say probably not, especially if you plan on overclocking.

TRENDING THREADS