Your question

Somethings wrong..

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2013 6:09:08 AM

well, I decided to buy a new computer, so I took my old 640gb hdd and attached it to my new computer, as a secondary drive, and when it wouldnt come up in computer, I went to disk manager, and it showed up as a 173643384495.75 gb hard drive. Thinking I mest have gotten a great deal for the drive, or that something was really wrong, I turned it off, cleaned the sata ports, and checked the cablesit showed the samr problem, and it makes a click sound, then spins down, then back up. I dont need the data anymore, so this is more of an educational question if anyone else has the same problem

More about : somethings wrong

a b G Storage
February 9, 2013 6:38:54 PM

how old is that drive?
What format is it in...FAT32,NTFS?
I would look at scanning the drive with a diagnostic program..
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 6:49:31 PM

You need to set up your old hard drive as a slave. The primary hard drive being the master.

Take out the hard drive you are trying to install and on the back set the jumper to "slave". Assuming the other one is in the default master position, you shouldnt have any more problems.

P.S Make sure, both hard drives are NTFS

Good luck
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:18:05 PM

drive cant be accessed by windows, its in NTFS, and its serial ATA, so no jumper switches
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:19:05 PM

and its less than a year
m
l
a c 157 G Storage
February 9, 2013 7:23:23 PM

if you don't need the data anymore, try formatting it. but DON'T put anything that you can't lose on it.
m
l
February 9, 2013 9:26:25 PM

I formatted it, and its showing it can hold twice as much data as it said before lol
m
l
a c 157 G Storage
February 9, 2013 9:34:00 PM

sound like the bios is not reading the hd settings correctly. have you try another connection on the motherboard?
m
l
a c 1306 G Storage
February 9, 2013 9:43:37 PM

Attach power only and then boot up. if its clicking away with just power attached then the drive has likely failed. You can download the manufactures diagnostic utility and run the various tests which you will most likely need to do before they authorize a warranty replacement anyways.
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:13:02 PM

17 trillion gb hard drive capacity. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! lol
m
l
February 10, 2013 12:08:15 AM

popatim said:
Attach power only and then boot up. if its clicking away with just power attached then the drive has likely failed. You can download the manufactures diagnostic utility and run the various tests which you will most likely need to do before they authorize a warranty replacement anyways.
nope no clicking with just power
m
l
February 10, 2013 12:10:50 AM

ARICH5 said:
17 trillion gb hard drive capacity. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! lol

lol
m
l
a b G Storage
February 10, 2013 12:56:46 AM

Usually if the drive is not reporting it's correct capacity/geometry then there is some kind of firmware damage. I agree with popatim run a diagnostic check.
m
l