Sign in with
Your question

Networking

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2013 10:23:30 AM

guys pls help...

i need to assemble a computer for a business which use as a File storage ..
the business currenty have 10 xp copmuters connected together.

>I am thinking to build a server 2008 with features installed as a file server .

and put a RAID 1 on it.

>> is it right what im a thinking?

More about : networking

a c 87 G Storage
February 9, 2013 10:31:04 AM

A Win server is expensive for file server only use. Do you whant to run any server programs from it? If not, go for a NAS instead (QNAP, Synology, Thecus,..). It's easier to configure and has all you need for a file server.
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:32:00 AM

just one server hosting files? will they be ok with any downtime in the case of a hardware/software crash?

you got the right idea for providing redundancy with a raid array, but depending on what this companies needs (availability/cost/performance/etc...) are and their current server infrastructure... you may be able to get away with something less expensive like a NAS.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 11:29:31 AM

noidea_77 said:
A Win server is expensive for file server only use. Do you whant to run any server programs from it? If not, go for a NAS instead (QNAP, Synology, Thecus,..). It's easier to configure and has all you need for a file server.

I agree with you.. maybe I can use NAS..I have read about it.... my problem is I dont know how to configure it..
I need to assemble this as in from the pieces of computer.. like cpu, motherboard,ram, etc..
m
l
February 9, 2013 11:32:24 AM

flank2 said:
just one server hosting files? will they be ok with any downtime in the case of a hardware/software crash?

you got the right idea for providing redundancy with a raid array, but depending on what this companies needs (availability/cost/performance/etc...) are and their current server infrastructure... you may be able to get away with something less expensive like a NAS.

yes I know a little about NAS and I need to assemble it from the pieces of computer.. Like cpu motherboard Ram..etc
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
February 9, 2013 11:42:28 AM

So you already have the parts and cannot buy a pre-build NAS? Then just assemble a standard PC and put FreeNAS on it. Search for it on Google. You will find the hw requirements, especially the supported sata controllers easily.
m
l
February 9, 2013 11:51:15 AM

Thanks.. for the idea.. really big help to me.. :) 
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:35:14 PM

also if this hardware is a bit "older" look at NAS4Free, a bit lighter on the hardware requirements than freenas.
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:59:41 PM

yeah.. still doing some research.. about freeNas ..thanks for the ideas.... now I can start my project. :) 
m
l
!