Networking

guys pls help...

i need to assemble a computer for a business which use as a File storage ..
the business currenty have 10 xp copmuters connected together.

>I am thinking to build a server 2008 with features installed as a file server .

and put a RAID 1 on it.

>> is it right what im a thinking?
8 answers Last reply
More about networking
  1. A Win server is expensive for file server only use. Do you whant to run any server programs from it? If not, go for a NAS instead (QNAP, Synology, Thecus,..). It's easier to configure and has all you need for a file server.
  2. just one server hosting files? will they be ok with any downtime in the case of a hardware/software crash?

you got the right idea for providing redundancy with a raid array, but depending on what this companies needs (availability/cost/performance/etc...) are and their current server infrastructure... you may be able to get away with something less expensive like a NAS.
  3. noidea_77 said:
    A Win server is expensive for file server only use. Do you whant to run any server programs from it? If not, go for a NAS instead (QNAP, Synology, Thecus,..). It's easier to configure and has all you need for a file server.

I agree with you.. maybe I can use NAS..I have read about it.... my problem is I dont know how to configure it..
    I need to assemble this as in from the pieces of computer.. like cpu, motherboard,ram, etc..
  4. flank2 said:
    just one server hosting files? will they be ok with any downtime in the case of a hardware/software crash?

you got the right idea for providing redundancy with a raid array, but depending on what this companies needs (availability/cost/performance/etc...) are and their current server infrastructure... you may be able to get away with something less expensive like a NAS.

yes I know a little about NAS and I need to assemble it from the pieces of computer.. Like cpu motherboard Ram..etc
  5. So you already have the parts and cannot buy a pre-build NAS? Then just assemble a standard PC and put FreeNAS on it. Search for it on Google. You will find the hw requirements, especially the supported sata controllers easily.
  6. Thanks.. for the idea.. really big help to me.. :)
  7. also if this hardware is a bit "older" look at NAS4Free, a bit lighter on the hardware requirements than freenas.
  8. yeah.. still doing some research.. about freeNas ..thanks for the ideas.... now I can start my project. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Networking Storage