Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Help] Error while installing win7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 14, 2011 8:07:16 PM

Hello, and first of all I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post this but... I've recently decided to reinstall win7 64bit because my computer started freezing up occasionally while browsing, playing games or even watching youtube videos... the freezes would pass after a few minutes and the computer would recover and start up/shut down would take a long time as well.

So I thought that reinstalling windows might help as I havent done it in a long while. But I ecountered a problem while installing win7 64bit,

I receive these errors (0x8007045D and later after trying a few things it changed to 0x80070002 both times it stated something about files missing or being corrupt) while on the "extracting windows files" section of the setup.

I've done a clean install every single time and formated my HDD (seagate barracuda 7200.10 320GB) but got an error every single time but at various %'s (once it went up to 70% other times it would get stuck as soon as 5%). I'm really out of ideas now, I've tried switching RAM's, switching DVD Drives, Disconnecting my GPU but nothing seems to help... has my HDD died? Or prehaps my Mobo or CPU is acting up? Help please!

Oh, and I burned my win7 ISO's myself via imgburn - I've used the slowest possible burn speed (x2) and did it multiple times but every single DVD gave same error.

My Specs:

OS: Formated HDD right now but previously I used Win7 64bit
Motherboard: Bearlake G31 (I think, not sure... its such an old mobo)
CPU: Core 2 Duo 3.3GHz
GPU: GeForce 9600GT - Tried removing but didnt help
RAM: OCZ 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2 - Tried switcing to an exact same pair from another computer but it didnt help
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
DVD-ROM: Not sure but I tried two different ones, both producing errors

More about : error installing win7

November 14, 2011 8:17:37 PM

maybe the image you're burning from is corrupt or your discs are crap... to check your drives you could boot a rescue linux and check the disks and memory... you could also try getting another image... and reburning it off a different image.. or borrow a friends disk as long as you use your serial number it's not stealing...
Score
November 14, 2011 8:22:27 PM

slhpss said:
maybe the image you're burning from is corrupt or your discs are crap... to check your drives you could boot a rescue linux and check the disks and memory... you could also try getting another image... and reburning it off a different image.. or borrow a friends disk as long as you use your serial number it's not stealing...

I've tried multiple ISO's so I'm sure they arent corrupt, and the DVD's arent crap I've used same brand before when I reinstalled windows and it worked.
Score
Related resources
November 14, 2011 8:33:51 PM

well... best I can tell you is grab a rescue boot disk of sorts (hiren is awesome but pretty much any "rescue" linux distro will work) and test your hdd, memory, etc
Score
a c 352 $ Windows 7
November 14, 2011 8:38:39 PM

From the sound of things, try a new hard-drive.
Score
November 14, 2011 9:26:12 PM

Generally when you have OS installation problems the first component I find to be problematic is the memory. I'd boot the Ultimate Boot Disk and run MemTest86+ to see if you have stable memory, after that I would try and run the manufacturer HDD test (also on the UBCD) and see if it fails the stress test.

In my experience the memory is generally the failing component if you are getting addressing errors.
Score
November 15, 2011 6:43:55 AM

l0ckd0wn said:
Generally when you have OS installation problems the first component I find to be problematic is the memory. I'd boot the Ultimate Boot Disk and run MemTest86+ to see if you have stable memory, after that I would try and run the manufacturer HDD test (also on the UBCD) and see if it fails the stress test.

In my experience the memory is generally the failing component if you are getting addressing errors.

Hello, thanks to you all for replies. I've just tried running seagate DOS bootable disc and I got an error while trying to run the "long test" on the system thats having problems installing. The error said that the HDD was not responding to commands and that it could be caused by corrupt sectors OR disconnected/broken wires. So I decided to plug the HDD into my other system to run the test there and what do you know, the test is running right now at 15% and going further... I'll post the resulsts once its complete. But I guess my problem is faulty wires hmm?

Oh, and regarding the RAM, I've tried other RAM sticks from the other system and I got the same error so I'm asuming the RAM is ok, but I'll also run memtest later to make sure.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 7:35:23 AM

Looks like the HDD is on the fritz.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 7:39:11 AM

Try to check for the bad sectors http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name...

Get the SeaTools for DOS tests SATA or ATA drives from a bootable CD-ROM or floppy. It can test a SATA (Serial ATA) or older ATA (PATA/IDE) interface hard drive. Because the software boots to its own operating system you can test your drive regardless of the OS installed on it. You can even test a new or completely blank drive. In addition, this version offers limited repair and data erasure.
Score
November 15, 2011 7:46:30 AM

nikorr said:
Try to check for the bad sectors http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name...

Get the SeaTools for DOS tests SATA or ATA drives from a bootable CD-ROM or floppy. It can test a SATA (Serial ATA) or older ATA (PATA/IDE) interface hard drive. Because the software boots to its own operating system you can test your drive regardless of the OS installed on it. You can even test a new or completely blank drive. In addition, this version offers limited repair and data erasure.

I've noted in my previous reply that i managed to successfully start a seagate test via DOS CD on another system and its currently at 90% ;)  will post results. The test didnt even start on the system that is having the issues installing (error mentioning bad sectors/lose wires/broken wires).
Score
November 15, 2011 7:55:32 AM

Long Test and Short DST Test both passed without errors on another system, so the HDD seems to be in order. Going to try to switch the wires and plug the HDD back into the system thats giving me errors while installing win7/wunning seagate tests.

Log file:

Device 0 is Seagate Device ST3320820AS
Max Native address 625142447
Device is 48bit addressed - Number of LBAs 625140334 (320.072 GB)
This Drive supports security features
SMART is supported but DISABLED
Logging feature set is SUPPORTED
Started Long Test
Not able to get SMART DATA
DST completed without error
Short DST PASSSED
Long Test PASSED

Score
November 15, 2011 8:31:50 AM

I had that problem since last year.
It must be RAM problem, your onec ram could be damaged so you should try and attach single ram one by one and check your system by installing windows 7.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 8:33:02 AM

Nadosin said:
I've noted in my previous reply that i managed to successfully start a seagate test via DOS CD on another system and its currently at 90% ;)  will post results. The test didnt even start on the system that is having the issues installing (error mentioning bad sectors/lose wires/broken wires).

Oops, missed that one :) 
Score
November 15, 2011 9:54:33 AM

yasir siddiqui said:
I had that problem since last year.
It must be RAM problem, your onec ram could be damaged so you should try and attach single ram one by one and check your system by installing windows 7.

Hmm after switching the sata ata cable the seagate DOS CD was able to start the tests on the machine that receives errors during installation, but I am still receiving 0x8007045D error during windows installation... going to start memtest and let it run till 7 passes, will post the results. But its really strange... since I've used a different set of RAM from another system, which works just fine, maybe the mobo RAM sockets are faulty?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 10:19:48 AM

Could be the RAM sockets. Could be also PSU. Which one do u have?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 10:20:07 AM

BTW, Is there a way for u to use USB pen drive to install the Windows?
Score
November 15, 2011 10:31:25 AM

nikorr said:
BTW, Is there a way for u to use USB pen drive to install the Windows?

No, I don't have a large enough USB drive at the moment, would have to buy one. Hmm memtest86+ v4.2 has so far PASSED 1, going to run it for longer obviously, but I have no idea how to test my PSU... could it really be the cause of this? :S

My PSU: FSP250-60HEN 250w
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 10:34:07 AM

What model is it? How many watts?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 10:34:21 AM

Try this

Try this command-line diagnostic utility for power problems.
Go to Start > Run, type cmd, then type powercfg -energy
Score
November 15, 2011 10:41:09 AM

nikorr said:
Try this

Try this command-line diagnostic utility for power problems.
Go to Start > Run, type cmd, then type powercfg -energy

I am unable to start windows, because I've formated the HDD to prepair it for a fresh install and am having problems installing win7 due to the errors mentioned in my previous posts, would that command work via CMD from win7 DVD? And what should I look for once I do it?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 10:46:02 AM

I am sorry, I was also trying to help to other user and I got mixed up, he has installed already, and somehow I thought it was you.
Score
November 15, 2011 10:50:57 AM

nikorr said:
I am sorry, I was also trying to help to other user and I got mixed up, he has installed already, and somehow I thought it was you.

No problem ;)  however, what do you suggest I do now?
Score
November 15, 2011 10:57:40 AM

hmmm.... it could be, ram socket are faulty, and you didn't mention your psu?
what is your psu and have you tried to kingston ram?
Score
November 15, 2011 11:08:27 AM

yasir siddiqui said:
hmmm.... it could be, ram socket are faulty, and you didn't mention your psu?
what is your psu and have you tried to kingston ram?

Hey, I have mentioned my PSU (FSP250-60HEN 250w) and I havent got any kingston ram, I've tried another pair of OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM but got same error.

UPDATE on memtest86+:

2 PASSES 0 ERROR so far
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 11:18:06 AM

Nadosin said:
Hey, I have mentioned my PSU (FSP250-60HEN 250w) and I havent got any kingston ram, I've tried another pair of OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM but got same error.

UPDATE on memtest86+:

2 PASSES 0 ERROR so far

I think it is the PSU. 250W might not be enough.

If u cannot use another one now, try to unplug everything that u don't need and try again.
Score
November 15, 2011 11:25:57 AM

nikorr said:
I think it is the PSU. 250W might not be enough.

If u cannot use another one now, try to unplug everything that u don't need and try again.

I've always used this PSU... it has always been sufficient unless it has broken now :S and my GPU is removed at the moment so I doubt that my system is lacking power with just CPU/MOBO/HDD/DVDROM/RAM connected. This is obviously not a new build if anyones wondering, everything worked fine untill now :p 
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 11:44:50 AM

The capacitors last only so long. It will power less and less in the future, unfortunately.

If there is power to spare from the new one, it will last longer than one that is used to the capacity.

Example: new 500W is actually tested up to 680W (Antec), so 250W could be 330W,
but today it could be measured @ 200W only.

I am just saying, that nothing is forever. It is a common problem when PSU's are causing the problems and often RAM is the casualty of that.

Can u try another one to rule this issue out?
November 15, 2011 11:52:50 AM

nikorr said:
The capacitors last only so much. It will power less and less in the future, unfortunately.

If there is power to spare from the new one, it will last longer than one that is used to the capacity.

Example: new 500W is actually tested up to 680W (Antec), so 250W could be 330W,
but today it could be measured @ 200W only.

I am just saying, that nothing is forever. It is a common problem when PSU's are causing the problems and often RAM is the casualty of that.

Can u try another one to rule this issue out?

Hmm I got a 550w plugged into another system but I'm not too sure that I can manage to connect/reconnect all those wires after taking the PSU's out :D  is there no alternative method to test the PSU?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 11:55:56 AM

Nadosin said:
Hmm I got a 550w plugged into another system but I'm not too sure that I can manage to connect/reconnect all those wires after taking the PSU's out :D 

I know, it is a royal pain : )
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 11:56:56 AM

Are u in Macedonia, judging by the PSU on-line?
Score
November 15, 2011 11:59:04 AM

nikorr said:
Are u in Macedonia, judging by the PSU on-line?

No, I'm from UK this PSU came with a pre-built packard bell PC, havent changed or touched it since buying the PC. Only 2 things that I did change were RAM and GPU.
Score
a c 352 $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 12:40:58 PM

250 watt psu is a bit weak for any video card upgrade, the 9600gt alone can draw 60-90 watts of power, not very stable for the rest of the system.

A motherboard issue can cause what you are seeing also. You're at the point where it would be cheaper to buy a whole new barebones system than to swap out components to find the issue.
Score
November 15, 2011 12:41:39 PM

Ok, so I've switched the PSU's, my PC powered on I'm going to give a shot at installing win7 with 550w PSU from the other system. Will reply with results
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 12:43:19 PM

Good luck : )
Score
November 15, 2011 12:48:55 PM

nikorr said:
Good luck : )

Expanding files: 50% so far no errors and its climbing up at much faster rate than before, it looks like it was the PSU all along but can't be sure untill 100%, fingers crossed!!! :D 
Score
November 15, 2011 12:55:09 PM

Is this a legitimate copy of windows 7? You said you have "multiple isos". I would recommend that the only ISO thats reliable to use is from technet. Pirated copies sometimes have problems when you burn them.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 12:56:59 PM

Nadosin said:
Expanding files: 50% so far no errors and its climbing up at much faster rate than before, it looks like it was the PSU all along but can't be sure untill 100%, fingers crossed!!! :D 

Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 1:24:47 PM

Looking at the requirements for your system, you are lucky that the PSU lasted as long as it did (Depending on how close and often you were around 200+ Watts.
Ref:
Our test system contains a Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor @ 3.0 GHz (FSB 1333), the eVGA 680i SLI mainboard, stock cooling on the CPU, DVD-rom and a WD Raptor drive. The results:

Idle Peak
Wattage (PC total) Idle = 177 Peak 239 Watts
A fairly standard power supply will be more than sufficient for this graphics card. Any 450 Watt PSU and above will suffice. We test a lot of PSUs, check out some good ones over here.
End quote:

How to check PSU.
(1) The first check is in Bios. Most bios' have a health page that will list voltages (Some just show OK). Look at the +5 (+4.75 -> 5.25) and +12 ( 11.6 -> 12.6 Note spec is 11.4 for min, but I recommend no lower than 11.6 V). This is at Idle so NOT valid under load.
(2) Once windows is loaded. either use a MB utility that shows voltages or down Load HWMonitor (freebee). also download (A) Prime 95 and (B) Furmark. Install HWMonitor (it wil show current/Min/max voltages). Run HWMonitor and note voltages (LOOK at mins) this will be at idle - Also look at cpu temps. Now:
.. (a) run Prime 95. This will test stability of system while loading the system (Load is normally higher than what normal usage will be). Not your Min voltages (primarily the +5 and +12 again.
.. (b) Close prime 95 and run Furmark (in a window). This will load/test the GPU. Again monitor your +12 V rail.

My recommendation is a Quality 400->450 watt PSU. Always look for a review of the PSU you are thinking of Buying - There are some very Poor PSUs out there tha are best use, NOT in a computer but as a DOOR stop or bookend.
Score
November 15, 2011 1:40:14 PM

Windows successfully installed and booted! Finally I can put an end to this :) . Thanks alot to everyone who helped me by posting in thsi thread, your help was very much appreciated! Couldn't have done this alone for sure :) 
Score
November 15, 2011 1:40:34 PM

Best answer selected by Nadosin.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 1:57:01 PM

Good for u : )
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2011 1:57:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score