Used Harddrive New Build

reapz

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Alright so heres where im stuck i have an old laptop hard-drive with vista on it the laptop is dead but i have an external setup that i put the hard-drive into and it works.. my new pc that i put together is coming in the mail and i was wanting to wipe the old hard-drive and reinstall vista only problem is is that i don't have the cd? i think it may be on the hard-drive. I still have the SN sticker thats on the laptop so i hope you all wouldn't mind telling me how to go about wiping the drive and reinstalling vista?

thanks!

P.S. i hate vista just im on the poor mans sallary reusing what i got :p planing to upgrade to 7 when i get the chance.

Solution
Unfortunately you can't use the existing Product Key from your laptop to install Windows on a different computer. That key is "tied" to that laptop for life, as is the Windows Vista that's installed on it. Neither are transferrable to another computer.

You'll have to buy a retail copy of Windows, and that will include it's own Product Key in the packaging. Getting Vista now may prove to be a challenge, even new copies of Windows 7 are getting thin on the ground.
Unfortunately you can't use the existing Product Key from your laptop to install Windows on a different computer. That key is "tied" to that laptop for life, as is the Windows Vista that's installed on it. Neither are transferrable to another computer.

You'll have to buy a retail copy of Windows, and that will include it's own Product Key in the packaging. Getting Vista now may prove to be a challenge, even new copies of Windows 7 are getting thin on the ground.

Solution