Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wire smoking but bios still posts

Last response: in Components
January 25, 2011 4:27:57 AM

So today putting some old stuff back in my antec 900 case and after installing everything I went for the start up. The power wire directly from the psu to the motherboard that plugs into the 3 pin connector started smoking within 5 seconds. I'm plugging it into the plug in that says:

ps2_usbpw
1-2:+5volt
2-3:+5VSB

It is an antec 550 watt psu with a p5k se mobo. I managed to get it started once without it plugged in and it posts and says "keyboard/interface error". I already took everything out and checked for loose screws and all that jazz. I have no ideas what to do. Any suggestions would be great.

Also now when I plug it in the light on the mobo goes off. When I unplug it will come back on.
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2011 12:38:01 PM

Well first off that is not a spot to put a power cable that spot on your board is for a jumper it allows you to setup the USB ports to supply standby power when the computer is sleeping. You probably fried the USB ports by doing what you did and will most likely need a new motherboard. What you did is really bad and most likely killed the mainboard.
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2011 1:21:08 PM

RIP
Related resources
January 25, 2011 4:08:04 PM

Woops! There goes my mac system.

Well since apparently I'm retarded, anyone care to tell me where that blue and black wire goes? Worth giving it a shot to see if it works!
January 25, 2011 4:42:04 PM

Yeah. Its like two wires, one blue one black wrapped around each other. I have no idea what it's called. The connector is for 3 small pins. There is only one of that wire coming out of the psu.
January 25, 2011 4:55:20 PM

Antec 550w TruePower

I'm looking for what that wire is actually called. Will post if I find it.
January 25, 2011 5:10:50 PM

Not modular. Not marked for a fan either. Its also like 4 years old so it might have worn off or something inno. We'll I'll mess around with it some more I guess!
January 25, 2011 5:12:53 PM

The connector says: A-1 and 2510 JMT
January 25, 2011 5:16:47 PM

It's supposed to go to the chassis fan header on your motherboard. It's probably labeled "CHA_FAN" on the motherboard, as well as on the plug itself. My antec says "chassis fan" in white print on the side of the black connector. You probably just killed your PS2 and USB ports, since that header is what selects the power state for your PS2 & USB ports.
January 25, 2011 5:18:58 PM

Will the front USB ports still work?
January 25, 2011 5:22:01 PM

The laser on the mouse still lights up. I got one light on the keyboard but I can't use it to get into the bios or anything :S

Best solution

January 25, 2011 5:28:02 PM

Most likely not. Usually all USB ports go through the same IO hub. You could try a PCI USB card if you have one handy, that would work around having a dead USB hub and bad PS2's on the motherboard. If the keyboard was plugged in at the time of the accident, you might try a different keyboard, since sometimes USB devices can be damaged when things like that happen. Try a different keyboard, and unplug all other USB devices.
January 25, 2011 5:45:41 PM

mavroxur said:
Most likely not. Usually all USB ports go through the same IO hub. You could try a PCI USB card if you have one handy, that would work around having a dead USB hub and bad PS2's on the motherboard. If the keyboard was plugged in at the time of the accident, you might try a different keyboard, since sometimes USB devices can be damaged when things like that happen. Try a different keyboard, and unplug all other USB devices.

Don't have a PCI usb card around :( 

I tried a 3rd keyboard. My ps2 keyboard does nothing. My plain ol' usb microsoft keyboard gets one light on it. My saitek cyborg fully lights up. All of these still produce a "keyboard/interface error" and "usb device over current status" message in the bios.
January 25, 2011 7:41:49 PM

Your board is trashed. Sorry. That connector that has the black and blue wires is how the motherboard monitors the PSU's fan speed, not how the fan gets power (as stated by dadiggle). The fan in the PSU will still run just fine with it unplugged. What happened is when you plugged it into the wrong motherboard header, you grounded one of your +5 volt pins on that header. The black wire is grounded in the PSU, and the blue one is the fan speed signal wire. The connector you accidentally plugged it into is actually a jumper block, and should have had a jumper on it. It determines how the PS2 and USB ports are powered (either full time, or only when computer is on
January 25, 2011 9:47:01 PM

Best answer selected by mcniglsworth.
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2011 12:18:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!