File selection, boundary of clicking a file

publicjj

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Hello,

"Selection Feature"
In Win XP, we had to click the file itself to select. Not it's date, size nor type.
In Win 7, we can select the file's name, type, size, date etc.

I wish to change or disable or customize this selection feature to WinXP.

I only use 'detail' settings for all my files, whether it's docs, images, music, whatever and above win7 selection feature hinders me from selecting the void space inside the folder. (I also use one click, instead of double click)

Does anybody know?

If anybody thinks the selection feature of Win 7 is way better than XP, please narrate 'why' it is better so that I maybe persuaded and keep using what I have right now.

Many thanks to all, in advance !

Solution

You've had almost 3 years to get used to this change. Microsoft is going to make these small subtle changes whether we, the end users want them to or not. Get over it.

Actually while you're at it, get over yourself.... and learn how to spell "dumber" (while not technically a word, I at least spelled the root of the word correctly, and know how to properly use it in a sentence).
Don't think it matters. AFAIK, there is no way to revert back to selecting only the file name rather than the modified date, type... etc. However you can still change the setting for single clicking or double clicking to open a file. It's in the General tab after you open the Folder and Search options menu.

Edit: I too found this annoying at first, but have learned to live with the change.

publicjj

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

Jesus christ !
Who is leading these changes?
Why are people dummer than I leading these changes?
The world changes by dummers and the smarts who are silent has to live with it.

Sigh.... to stupidity.

You've had almost 3 years to get used to this change. Microsoft is going to make these small subtle changes whether we, the end users want them to or not. Get over it.

Actually while you're at it, get over yourself.... and learn how to spell "dumber" (while not technically a word, I at least spelled the root of the word correctly, and know how to properly use it in a sentence).

Solution

publicjj

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

Thank you, I learned something, how to spell things right.
Yours chosen as best answer !

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
If you want the 'void space' so that you can de-select files by clicking in the void, I found the easiest way is to resize the columns so that you have a space to the left of the information which is then the void space - clicking there will de-select.

publicjj

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

Yep, that is what I am doing right now. But this method always makes your windows bigger than it needs to be.