Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 Upgrade or Full Edition?

Last response: in Windows 8
January 7, 2013 8:05:41 AM

Hello,

I am building a new PC, and as such - will need a new copy of Windows (preferably 8).

I am currently running Windows XP on a 7-year old build, which will shortly become trash.

My question is - can I buy the Windows 8 upgrade on my current XP system, create a recovery disk, and then install Windows 8 on the new build? Or will I need to purchase a full OEM version of Windows 8?

Trying to save myself money wherever possible - it's not like I'm going to have more than one PC running the one Windows 8 key, so I don't see the problem, but is it possible?
April 17, 2013 6:24:07 PM

If you build the XP machine yourself, and still have the discs, it's possible to use the upgrade version. If it was delivered with XP pre-installed, or you don't have the old media, then you will need a full version.

Be warned that I have never tried this. You may have to install XP on the new machine and then 8 on top of it, for all I know.
a c 294 * Windows 8
April 18, 2013 12:39:19 AM

PounceBounce said:
Hello,

I am building a new PC, and as such - will need a new copy of Windows (preferably 8).

I am currently running Windows XP on a 7-year old build, which will shortly become trash.

My question is - can I buy the Windows 8 upgrade on my current XP system, create a recovery disk, and then install Windows 8 on the new build? Or will I need to purchase a full OEM version of Windows 8?

Trying to save myself money wherever possible - it's not like I'm going to have more than one PC running the one Windows 8 key, so I don't see the problem, but is it possible?

From experience - bought W8 pro upgrade from Overclockers (UK) for £45 with intention of upgrading 17" HP Laptop from Vista. It has 2 drive bays, I replaced the Vista HDD with an SSD and moved the Vista drive to bay 2. I clean installed W8 to the SSD, and with the Install disk still in place, performed a Refresh Install (See http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13375-clean-instal...)
Windows was installed and activated. Formatted the old Vista drive and now used as storage. No reason why you shouldn't do similar.

!