Windows 8 Upgrade or Full Edition?

Hello,

I am building a new PC, and as such - will need a new copy of Windows (preferably 8).

I am currently running Windows XP on a 7-year old build, which will shortly become trash.

My question is - can I buy the Windows 8 upgrade on my current XP system, create a recovery disk, and then install Windows 8 on the new build? Or will I need to purchase a full OEM version of Windows 8?

Trying to save myself money wherever possible - it's not like I'm going to have more than one PC running the one Windows 8 key, so I don't see the problem, but is it possible?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade full edition
  1. If you build the XP machine yourself, and still have the discs, it's possible to use the upgrade version. If it was delivered with XP pre-installed, or you don't have the old media, then you will need a full version.

Be warned that I have never tried this. You may have to install XP on the new machine and then 8 on top of it, for all I know.
  2. PounceBounce said:
    Hello,

I am building a new PC, and as such - will need a new copy of Windows (preferably 8).

I am currently running Windows XP on a 7-year old build, which will shortly become trash.

My question is - can I buy the Windows 8 upgrade on my current XP system, create a recovery disk, and then install Windows 8 on the new build? Or will I need to purchase a full OEM version of Windows 8?

Trying to save myself money wherever possible - it's not like I'm going to have more than one PC running the one Windows 8 key, so I don't see the problem, but is it possible?

From experience - bought W8 pro upgrade from Overclockers (UK) for £45 with intention of upgrading 17" HP Laptop from Vista. It has 2 drive bays, I replaced the Vista HDD with an SSD and moved the Vista drive to bay 2. I clean installed W8 to the SSD, and with the Install disk still in place, performed a Refresh Install (See http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13375-clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.html)
    Windows was installed and activated. Formatted the old Vista drive and now used as storage. No reason why you shouldn't do similar.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 Windows XP