YouTube videos slow

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Not sure where this fits.

I have Verizon FiOS Internet, the speed is something like 25 down and 22 up, give or take a few. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with 2 GB of RAM, a 8800 GTS 320 MB video and a E6750 processor. It runs great. I highly doubt this is the culprit at all.

What I'm concerned about is viewing YouTube videos. What I have been doing, is stopping a video right when it loads, letting the whole thing load and then view it. If I don't do this, I get about 5 seconds of video, it stops to buffer and then continues for another 5 seconds. Obviously this is annoying. Is there any way to fix this? Or where should I go to get this question answered?

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
it has nothing to do with your upload/download amount, it has to do with speed of service, Are you on a 2Mbit connection? 3?, go to www.speedtest.net, pick your service for your area, what speed you at? For video you should have at least 3Mbit/s speed, the faster the better though. If you have way faster then this then are you using a router? Wireless? There are a lot of factors to consider.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
In my original post, I mentioned my speed, however, per your request, I went ahead and did a speed check at SpeedTest.net. My results are: 25.59 down and 25.44 up. I am directly connected to my router via CAT 5. My router is a Actiontec MI424WR for Verizon FiOS. I'm the only person directly connected to my router. My network IS secure with WEP 64-bit. MAC authentication disabled. Mixed wireless mode. There IS a laptop on the network that is turned on occasionally. My computer is a desktop that I shut down every night.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
that's very odd, but I noticed my speed was affected to, I had 8Mbit max before and no issues with video, now at 30Mbit speed and it buffers several times per video. I think it has something to do with delay, like only so much can buffer then it needs to empty (buffer occurs while filling up) then repeat, so it may have to do with how much space you are caching for internet and it may have to do with actual buffering issues within browser, I will find out more from my good friends where I use to work.

sturm

Splendid
I would say its a Youtube thing. I have seen the slow loading problem on just about everyones computer I have been on. I think their servers are starting to slow down or the packets are getting throttled down.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

What do you mean by streaming through Google Chrome? I already access YouTube through Google Chrome. I noticed the problem today again. Then I went to load the same video, later and it was fine. Mind, you, different browser session.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

I WAS on DSL a couple years ago and didn't start having this problem until I got FiOS. I went from 3 mbps down to 15 mbps down, now at 25 mbps down. I mean, from what I CAN view, the videos come over more clear, now, but they are chopped (or buffed) every 5 seconds.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
exactly, seemed with lower speed ran smoother, higher speeds I notice more buffering, even with clean system bootup, video loaded, private browsers, same thing and it happens with all 6 PC's in the house.