Beep error help

dsshhm

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
hey guys today the power went out and for the past little bit when this has happened to me my computer would not start up for a few hours but when it happened to today after about 3 hours it would not start up so i opened it and figured i would clean it out and make it nice while i waited. I know enough about computer that i grounded myself before touching any internal parts I also had the power supply unplugged etc after i had finished i put it all back together and turned it on and now I am getting a beep error I tried Googleing it but it only came up with 12 beep and mine just continues to beep I have an msi-k9vgm-v and my bios is phoenix i think im not sure what version though

thanks guys

Thus proving the notion that no good deed goes unpunished :)

It sounds like you either have two problems, or your old problem just became fatal lol. I'd like to know more about why you think it takes 3 hours for your PC to boot up after a power failure. Does it take long to boot up your system if you shut it down correctly?

First guesses are you have a heat problem or more likely a failing psu. Which may have just failed.

Or you still have your original problem, and your cleaning dislodged a memory chip, expansion card, cooler fan wire, power cable . . . so you need to re-seat all of the above.

dsshhm

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
to 1st post no i cant log in i dont even get a signal from the vga

this power problem only happens when the power supply is accidentally unplugged :p or the power goes out and sometimes when i use the power button instead of the reset button i dont really know why it takes so long i just turn it on and i dont get the 1 quick beep and my hdd led is constantly on I would think that my psu is still working seeing as i can turn my pc on and all the fans and leds go on (i have a nice gaming case so it has a few) i did however forget to plug in i power connection the first time i turned it on i dont know if that could have been the fatal factor it was a 24 pin to the mobo but when i hit the button it didnt turn on (safety feature im guessing)

HEY YOU . . . yeah, you with your finger near the reset button . . . PUT YOUR HANDS UP AND BACK AWAY FROM THAT PC.

Seriously, every time you pull the plug out, our turn the psu switch off, or hit the reset button, or hold the power on button in for more than 5 seconds . . . you are destroying your disk.
You aren't letting the OS shut down in an orderly manner - you are stopping it dead in its tracks . . . while it is writing to the disk. Next boot up, your OS realizes this has happened and it checks your entire HD for errors, fixing as many as it can, and making large error files out of any garbage it can no longer understand.

So STOP doing those things. Use the Windows Shutdown ONLY. NEVER use the reset button - it has no modern function.

As for your beeps, we either have a part of your PC that's been harmed by power failures, or you need to keep looking for the things you dislodged during your cleaning.