Hard drive question

nkonit

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello,

I was wondering if its possible to have a mechanical hard drive for the OS, and then two SSD's set in RAID 0 for games? If so, how would I set it up?

popatim

Titan
yes its possible.
how you set it up depends on which raid controller you have or if you are using your motherbds raid function then which motherbd do you have? Also if its motherbd raid then instructions can be found in your owners manual.

It's possible, but useless. Most of the i/o happens on the os files even while playing. And a raid0 for ssd's will only get you a marginal performance increase, but a lot of risk to loose the data. All that was discussed a 100 times on this forum.

nkonit

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

fair enough. I should have reworded my question. I was wondering if you could mix and match stand alone mechanical drives with SSDs in any RAID configuration. but you answered that so thanks

When RAID'ing, you only want identical drives in an array. If you pair a HDD with an SSD in RAID 1 lets say, you will be limiting the arrays performance to the slowest drives speed (the HDD) and and the lowest capacity (the SSD most likely).