Your question

Cheap htpc/gaming computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 31, 2010 3:17:19 AM

I'm thinking building a htpc that would be good for gaming. My current TV is a 720p 32inch.
I know resolution is really important when determening what card to get but thats always with really high resolution pc monitors. What would be the minimum card to run game smoothely? Would I need a 4850 or could I get away with something cheap like a 4670?

I want it to be $100 or less. I already have a xbox 360 and PS3 hooked up to this tv, so I want something that plays at least better than those. Or maybe thats not possible? The rest of the pc will be an athlon II x2 and 2gigs of ram.

More about : cheap htpc gaming computer

October 31, 2010 4:00:25 AM

It would help to know which games you intend to play.
m
l
October 31, 2010 4:03:39 AM

If you're trying to get better performance than a PS3/360 on a 32" 720p TV with just 2GBs of RAM and a dual core with a GPU that's under $100...sorry, but you might as well play the lottery too, lol.

You're going to need at least 6GB of DDR3 RAM, your CPU running at ~3.4GHz from the stock 2.8GHz (you can OC to that temp with only a 5-7 degree increase during full load) and a card comparable to a GTX 260/4850. With those specs, you could most likely get an average FPS of 45-75, with a 3/4's high/medium graphics setting config.

Hope this helped and good luck getting things running!
m
l
!